Frit-Happens !
December 07, 2019, 09:33:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
your ad here
News:
Where are you?? Add yourself to the NEW FHF map here  | On flickr? Join our Frit Happens group: here

VISIT THE WIKI HERE
Get FH Status updates via twitter @FritHappens

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How much gas should a hh go through?  (Read 1968 times)
katie78
New Forum Member

« on: October 13, 2013, 01:02:07 PM »

I have had my bulk hothead kit for three months now. I get about 6 hours a week on it possibly less but I have gone through a 6kg propane bottle and I have almost gone through another one!
Is this a normal amount of gas to go through??
To me it seems quite a lot for not very long on the torch!

Thanks in advance for any help xxx
k00m
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 01:17:37 PM »

The last time I recorded how long a bottle lasts on my hothead, I got approximately 80 hours out of a 13kg bottle before it got unusable (i.e. a bit before it's actually empty empty), so that sounds about right to me.

- Kerra -
cbeadies
Forum Member

Glass Rainbow Lampwork

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 01:24:08 PM »

The hothead does use up the gas quite quickly, assuming that you have checked carefully with a leak detector spray or something to make sure there are no leaks. I used a hothead for quite a while and seemed to go through a lot of the 6kg tanks.

When I eventually moved onto a minor torch and oxycon I was amazed at how long the propane seemed to last.  Smiley
Shirley
Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 01:30:42 PM »

I used to get around 40 hours from a 3.9kg tank. Perhaps try adjusting the regulator, and you don't have to turn on the gas fully at the tank, just enough to give a decent flame. You can't adjust the flame much at the torch end, but you can at the tank.

Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 
Barnacle Bay
Forum Member

I'm Just a Little Bit Potty

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 05:23:59 AM »

HH's are very gas hungry.  I used to do what Shirley said 'adjusting the flame at the regulator', but  it still ate up the gas.  3 Months sounds about right at the hourly rates you mentioned. 

My advice is, ditch the HH and invest in a dual fuel & oxycon, humungously superior and cost effective in the long run - gas wise, you won't look back  Wink
Steampunkglass
Forum Member

Will work for Cat-food and Glass

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 07:02:52 AM »

My advice is, ditch the HH and invest in a dual fuel & oxycon, humungously superior and cost effective in the long run - gas wise, you won't look back  Wink
I'd agree, plus you'll be able to hear! Even with the hum from the oxycon it'll still be so much quieter too than the roar of a Hothead!

katie78
New Forum Member

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 10:07:22 AM »

Thanks for the replies ladies  Grin

Unfortunately I don't have the space or money to be able to upgrade yet! However I am going for a job interview on Friday and if I get the job I shall be earning practically double what I am on now so will finally be able to start saving for a kiln and shedio and then finally after those an upgrade on ze torch!  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: