What to do with silver glass??

Started by katie78, September 12, 2013, 06:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katie78

I have got a couple of purple silver glass rods in my stash and am unsure what to do with them that will use them to their fullest??

I am on a hot head if that helps too  :D

Thanks xx

Redhotsal

katie78

Helen G

possibly DH Boreas which is a reducer. Not used it myself so don't know how it behaves but with a hot head you need a collar of foil at the ready to cover the holes at the base of the torch when you want to reduce it.

Redhotsal

For silver plum you won't have to do much for them to work - just use them as normal - actually in a slightly reducing flame - which will be easy for you as you have a hothead. Wait until you have the glass forms the way you want it - then remove from the flame for a few seconds and then waft it around in the top of the flame and you should see the glass go a sort of matt, almost "leathery" or pewtery colour. If you google "silver plum" in images you will see dozens of beads which have this effect. It's really lovely - and it you carry on with the effect you can also get the glass to show some metallic colours - often a bronzy yellow and sometimes pinks and greens. You can reverse this effect by bathing in a reducing flame (lower down in the hothead) so be careful you don't reverse the effect by drifting down the flame.

Unlike the Double Helix types of Silver glass - which usually rely on reducing (turning DOWN the oxygen) or striking (allowing the glass to reach a certain temperature and then reheating it) the metallic glasses - like silver plum and Effetre Metallic actually need MORE oxygen - an oxygen-rich flame for them to work. Of course - with the hothead you will struggle a little as this is exactly what you don't have - though you will get a little more oxygen at the top of the flame, so if you gently waft it around the top it should go pewtery. Plus - when it works - silver plum effect is pretty easy to achieve.

BUT - having said all of that - some batches of silver plum don't work. I have two batches which stubbornly do absolutely nothing (but do make a nice dark violet). According to most people you will get more luck with the dark silver plum rather than the light silver plum. I've only ever had one batch which worked for me. On the other hand Effetre Metallic Black always behaves for me. Either way - you will need MORE rather than LESS oxygen to get it to perform.

Graphitegirl

Jane C ♫

Hi Jancsi - your link doesn't work. Jane.
Hand Painted Silk and Fused Glass Artist.
Lampwork Beginner!
Website

Angie

www.angiesnelling.com
In the future, all will be glass...

katie78

That is fabulous redhotsal, thank you so much  ;D

I can't wait to get my torch out when my little one is in bed now and try it out

Niki Gough

Thanks a lot for this Sal as I have some silver plum and didn't know how to use it x
Niki x
N Designs Crafts

Every oops is an aah waiting to happen.