Rough edges

Started by CrazyKiln, October 09, 2013, 10:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyKiln

:-\ I have been fusing away quite happily for nearly a year now and in my last 2 firings the edges of some of the pieces have come out a bit rough. As I always fire on thinfire paper, I vacuum the kiln after each firing. Any ideas. TIA

dinah46

That usually happens if you are firing too high or if the glass is less than 6mm thick so it starts to draw itself in to get to 6mm

You can generally fix it by rubbing down a bit with sand paper, or posh diamond pads if you have them, and then fire polish. Make sure the edges are well cleaned before fire polishing or you may get a dull edge.

flame n fuse

I agree with Diane

Julia

CrazyKiln

I was firing in my ceramic kiln but the results were a little hit and miss so I splashed out on a glass kiln. Will try reducing the top temperature. Thank you very much for your help.

flame n fuse

if you have changed kilns, you might find that the temperatures have changed, and that your new kiln is hotter

CrazyKiln

I am actually full fusing to a slightly lower temperature than I was in my ceramic kiln but will try going a few degrees lower still. Thanks for you advice. ;D