Frit-Happens !
February 28, 2020, 11:10:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
your ad here
News:
Where are you?? Add yourself to the NEW FHF map here  | On flickr? Join our Frit Happens group: here

VISIT THE WIKI HERE
Get FH Status updates via twitter @FritHappens

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: working aluminium  (Read 1279 times)
SilverGems89
Forum Member

Hot Cheeks

« on: October 07, 2013, 11:14:14 AM »

Hi everyone, quick question! I bought some 2mm aluminium wire with the idea of making some brangles without the hellish cost of sterling, which is basically just going to get covered up anyway! Now my question is, can I hammer the aluminium with my nice shiny smooth chasing hammer, or is it going to leave marks and dings in the face?

mizgeorge
Administrator

Or should that be missus?

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 11:29:09 AM »

Aluminium is a very soft metal. You can hammer to your heart's content without hurting your tools. It's not as easy to get a good polish at the end as it is on sterling though.

Be careful when you manipulate the wire. It's not a particularly malleable metal, and will only take so much before it snaps.

SilverGems89
Forum Member

Hot Cheeks

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 11:36:29 AM »

Thanks G  Grin I wont be doing much to it except forming a loop at one end and a hook at the other Smiley

Glyn Burton
Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 12:11:48 PM »

If the aluminium work hardens rub it with soap and gently heat until the soap turns black allow to cool and the metal will be soft again.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: