Decals

Started by lddlsa, September 17, 2013, 08:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lddlsa

Does anyone have any advice on fusing decals please, I purchased some from Bailey Decal and the colours have fired quite pale particularly the red.  I am confused as to whether I have fired then too high, too low and if I need to vent the kiln to get rid of the binders burning off and to help colours develop.  It is my first try with decals and I have a lot to learn so any help would be very much appreciated.

Zeldazog

Might be useful if you told us what temperature you fired them to before asking if you fired too high?

Reds are notoriously difficult colours in decals (as they are in ceramic glazes too) are probably the worst (or best  ;D) at losing their colour. 

Also, what glass did you fire them on?  Did you sandwich or put them on the top? 

Do remember, they *are* designed for ceramics not glass, so you can't always rely on the results if you're not firing them on the material they were made for.

lddlsa

Hi Zeldazog, Good point  :) I fired them at 760 degrees which in my kiln is enough for a full fuse using Bullseye glass.  I fired some on top of two layers of 3mm and some in between the two layers sprinkled with a fine layer of clear powder.

Zeldazog

I would guess that your kiln is firing hot if you're getting a full fuse at 760 - colours, especially reds, do burn out at 800 degrees, which yours must be about at in real terms.

I've had some reds and pinks turn brown against french vanilla due to it being a reactive glass.

lddlsa

Thank you for that info....I must go and check my firing log as I have the memory of a goldfish, I think I also tried fusing them at a lower temperature too.  I have fired them onto white but will remember (hopefully) not to fire onto French Vanilla  :)

Flyingcheesetoastie

I've never had the reds burn out with Bailey Decals, I fire on 3mm Spectrum at 750c with a 10min soak.  I also make sure they are on the top level in a stacked kiln too, red seems to like a good air flow!

lddlsa

Hi Flyingcheesetoastie, I only have a small kiln with one level....when you say red seems to like a good air flow do you do anything other than put them on the top level to achieve this please ?

Flyingcheesetoastie

That's it! I don't use the decals anymore though as I screen print enamels directly onto my glass. It's the same for my red glass enamel though, if I don't place it on the top shelf of my too loader it almost goes a transparent clear/white colour. They are a strange bunch reds!

Zeldazog

Quote from: Flyingcheesetoastie on September 17, 2013, 11:44:27 PM
I've never had the reds burn out with Bailey Decals, I fire on 3mm Spectrum at 750c with a 10min soak. 

I don't at those temperatures, but I am sure I had faded colours up at full fusing temperature on Bullseye, which if course, is higher than that ;-)

Not thought about airflow issues! 

Red is a pain with ceramics too, so difficult to get right.

Flyingcheesetoastie

That's why I posted the temperature, I don't fuse so it was by way of a comparison.

I think the airflow is to do with the oxygen in the kiln etc and the metals in the red.  I read up on it once and it seemed to work both ways so I gave up and went back to what worked for me!

Warm Glass UK

If you look at any of the decals on our site, there are a couple of pdfs below the image which might help? Try this one for example: http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/briar-rose-decal-22-x-22cm-p-3499.html

qwirkyglass

Quote from: lddlsa on September 17, 2013, 08:51:35 PM
if I need to vent the kiln to get rid of the binders burning off and to help colours develop. 

we are taught in uni that you must always fire enamels/ decals/ lusters/ paints with bungs open
we were also advised to fuse and then fire decals so that it is two firings, two make sure you get exactly what you want rather than a middle.
Hope this makes sense :)

lddlsa

Thank you all so much for your responses, I am off down to my studio soon to check my notes to see if I only did it at full fuse as I have a feeling I also did a tack fuse and the colours were still weak.  I had read that decals with red needed oxygen to mature the colour but wondered what experienced decal fusers did with regards to this. 
Thank you Warm Glass for your help  :) I had seen your pdf's before I fired the decals but thank you anyway.  One interesting point is that when I fired the first batch I was still working in my studio and the smell from the binders burning off was very strong.  Then I put my sensible head on and went looking for a data sheet and found it on Bailey Decals website and it says "When firing the ware to which the decals have been applied, or during accidental fire, harmful, toxic fumes may be emitted."  I can't see a data sheet on your site or any mention of this so maybe it isn't a problem but I will play safe in future and keep out of my studio as I don't have an extract/ventilation system other than opening the door :)

Trudi

Peach is a great alternative to french vanilla!

Jane C ♫

I do a "decal firing" which is to about 700C to put the decals on to my already fired piece. Extractor fan on. Bung out! You can always get a cheap desk fan and point it out of the window to draw air through.
Hand Painted Silk and Fused Glass Artist.
Lampwork Beginner!
Website