Main Menu

boro cab mandrel

Started by Moira HFG, August 31, 2013, 06:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moira HFG

I don't know if this is a new idea, or just something everyone does but I didn't know about. But I'll post anyway in case someone finds it useful!

This week I wanted to make some lampworked cabochons. I've only made fused ones before - and accidental ones when beads have cracked. After a few off-mandrel attempts, I realised that it would be a lot easier if I had a cab mandrel. And I had an idea: I had a rod of boro I got at Flame Off. I melted off a length, and formed one end into a blob and flattened it. Voila! A cab mandrel. I dipped it in bead release, and used it just like a metal one. When each cab was finished, and had cooled a little, I twisted it off with tweezers and put it into the kiln to anneal. I made a second boro mandrel so that I could use one whilst the other was cooling.

The cabochons made this way came out fine - the back is a little concave rather than flat, but as I want them for earstuds that is no problem - somewhere to put the glue!

Apart from being cheaper than buying metal cab mandrels, this method seems to be quite flexible. You can make any size you like, and you could make other shapes by pressing the end into a mould, for squares, heart shapes,etc.

JKC

Pat from Canvey

Great tip. A woman after my own heart!!!

DragonArtGlass

Good idea! thanks for sharing