Frit-Happens !
December 09, 2019, 04:59:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
your ad here
News:
Where are you?? Add yourself to the NEW FHF map here  | On flickr? Join our Frit Happens group: here

VISIT THE WIKI HERE
Get FH Status updates via twitter @FritHappens

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP! I have glass in my nozzles!  (Read 2062 times)
Lotti
Blond and bonkers
Forum Member

Let me at that torch!

« on: August 24, 2013, 08:12:13 AM »

URGH!  My one day a week when I get to torch (and am in desperate need of stock) and making a paperweight, my arm slipped off the table and I have glass in my torch !!!!!!!!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHH  Two nozzles are blocked and I don't know what to do, I fear I have broken my torch and am going to cry ALOT!  I am hoping that someone can advise me on what to do (nervous about pokey tool as it will push the glass further down the nozzles).

Blue Box Studio
Blue sky thinking & a load of hot air
Forum Member

Just give me the coffee and no one gets hurt!

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 09:52:17 AM »

What torch have you got?  Is there anything to unscrew to poke the bits out from the back?

Does this help? http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-190236.html

Barnacle Bay
Forum Member

I'm Just a Little Bit Potty

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 10:17:01 AM »

Oh no - I always fear this happening. 
jammie
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are
Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 10:48:13 AM »

can you take the torch off and give it a good dunt on the bottom to knock it out and blow the oxy through it at the same time?

Redhotsal
Fine Lampwork beads by Sally Carver
Forum Member

Pound Shop Queen

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 11:24:04 AM »

Heat the torch up til it is hot (you can light the torch if it's safe to do so). When it is hot (but not lit Roll Eyes ) pick it up off the table and dunk the end into some cold water. You should be able to shock the glass out. If it's possible take the torch to a tool hire place and see if you can get them to blow compressed air through the lines (hold the torch upside down) to push out any remaining glass. Hope that helps.

Magpie
Forum Member

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 11:48:27 AM »

I did this, I had one jet blocked, another partly blocked. I had a poke and prod and did what Sal says to do and nothing shifted it. But I kept on torching and a few months later noticed the jets weren't blocked any more. I think the repeated heating and cooling just loosened and shifted it. So if it's not shifting don't worry too much it may sort itself out on its own.

Shirley
Forum Member

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 12:44:25 PM »

The centre jet on my bobcat had been blocked for well over a year, in spite of me prodding and poking it. This week I poked it again and the jet cleared. Don't know why. Quite glad that it did.

Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 
jammie
Forum Member

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 02:01:48 PM »

Thats good to know Shirley cos mine is blocked too and no matter how i poke its still blocked!

Lotti
Blond and bonkers
Forum Member

Let me at that torch!

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 02:07:47 PM »

Heat the torch up til it is hot (you can light the torch if it's safe to do so). When it is hot (but not lit Roll Eyes ) pick it up off the table and dunk the end into some cold water. You should be able to shock the glass out. If it's possible take the torch to a tool hire place and see if you can get them to blow compressed air through the lines (hold the torch upside down) to push out any remaining glass. Hope that helps.

Thank you everyone for the help and thank you specially Sal (as ever of course Smiley ).  The heating, dunking worked very quickly and was able to spend the rest of the afternoon torching happily.  Thank you again, very very much. xxxxx Smiley

Shirley
Forum Member

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 04:15:03 PM »

Thats good to know Shirley cos mine is blocked too and no matter how i poke its still blocked!

I did wonder whether the running on 6 nozzles was why I've had good results with silver glass. Will have to see if I've lost the magic!

Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 
jammie
Forum Member

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 07:04:23 AM »

mine was reducing everything, but it seems much better now, only the middle one still blocked! !

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: