SC2 reviews/recomendations...

Started by anditsinthefish, August 19, 2013, 02:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anditsinthefish

After some investigation about my donated kiln, with thanks you you guys and to Lee at Kilncare... I think I might as well just bite the bullet and buy a SC2, as much as I love Maxine, looking back at it, I'm not sure why I decided to get her instead. I want to use the kiln for enameling, annealing beads (if I decided to sell Maxine :'() and possibly to odd bit of fusing. So do I just go for a normal one, or one with a bead door or window or both? What has everyone else got?
Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.

helbels

If you want to make beads then you'd need the bead door unless you want to be limited to batch annealing.  I don't know about the window, but my view would be "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!"  ;D

Blue Box Studio

Do you need the window for fusing?  If not why pay the extra (used to be extra).  You can peer through the bead door if you need?  But a bead door is a must for bead making.  I love my SC2, but then I haven't room for a Maxi.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Nicknack

I do fusing and bead making, and I have an SC2 with a bead door and window.  The window is very useful for fusing, as you can see (to a certain extent) what's happening in the kiln.  Don't know about enameling, as I have a separate kiln (from the 70s) for that, but I think the window would be very good for that, too.

Nick

flame n fuse

I have an SC2 with both bead door and window. As people say above, the bead door is essential for annealing while you work, and the window is useful both for beading and fusing as you can keep an eye on what is going on and admire your work in progress. I imagine the window would also be useful for enamelling as you could watch to see when the enamel had melted.

MeadMoon

I have both bead door and window. Have never used the bead door since I don't do lampworking, but the window is very useful for slumping glass and for enamelling.
Elaine at Mead Moon  Facebook  Etsy

Warm Glass UK

Having just read this thread, a gentle reminder with all the talk of looking int he kiln about protecting your eyes if you do so.....this extract from Brad Walker is good at outlining the main issues so please do be carefulas you can't replace your eyes!

In addition to dealing with the heat and electrical components of the kiln, it's also essential to protect your eyes is equally important when you're working around the kiln. If you open the kiln watch out for gusts of hot air or bubbles in the glass that could pop and harm your eyes.

Another situation where eye protection is necessary is when you look into the kiln when the glass is heating. When the temperature climbs above around 1100 degrees F (600 C), the glass will start to glow red. The intensity of this glow increases as the glass gets hotter. If you look into the kiln while the glass is glowing, you should take care to protect your eyes.

The main reason for this is that hot glass emits infrared rays. Prolonged exposure to infrared wavelengths can result in cataracts, a blurring of the vision that often occurs many years after repeated unprotected exposure. You can block infrared rays by using the right kind of eyeglasses.

The least expensive kind of glasses to use are welder's glasses, which are generally available in hardware and similar stores. These glasses, which block infrared light, are rated with a number that corresponds to how efficiency they block the rays. Number 3 welder's glasses (sometimes called Colobar) are sufficient for warm glass purposes. Glasses up to a darkness of 5 can also be successfully used in the workshop. Lamp-working glasses (which have didymium lenses) don't block infrared rays and shouldn't be used for kiln work.

Trudi

I have an SC2 with just a bead door .. I mainly use this for lampwork but I also do some fusing. Not having the window has not been an issue for me to be honest. But if it's not a lot extra and you're buying one then why not. But if you have the chance to buy second hand with just a bead door I wouldn't turn it down! HTH

Nicknack

To be honest, now I've tried slumping, the window is not a lot of use for that (not too bad for fusing, though).  I suppose it's so high in the door because of the bead door, but I find it's too high to be able to see what's happening with a slump.  I expect I'd be able to see if it ended up as a puddle in the bottom of the mould, but I can't tell if I've got a full slump or not, and have to open the door, which cools it down, and tends to make a nonsense of the programme I've set.  i have a pair of safety glasses bought from Warm Glass, and you can see quite well with them.

Nick

Moira HFG

If you're fusing as well as making beads, have you thought of an SC3? You get useful extra height for not too much more money. A bead door is a huge advantage, and although I wouldn't have bothered with a window, my second-hand kiln came with one, and I find it useful. I put my kiln shelf on posts to bring the work into sight range!

I think it's worth spending a bit extra on these features, a kiln lasts many years after all.

My main kiln is an E10, which is like an SC3 but goes up to ceramic temperatures too. Completely multi-purpose!

Nicknack

Quote from: Moira HFG on August 28, 2013, 10:44:24 PM
although I wouldn't have bothered with a window, my second-hand kiln came with one, and I find it useful. I put my kiln shelf on posts to bring the work into sight range!

Maybe I'd better invest in some posts!  I have some little ones, which came with the kiln, but I think you can get taller ones.  Thanks for that, Moira :)

Nick

Warm Glass UK

Please just bear in mind when choosing which version to buy that anything that compromises the integrity of the kiln door will reduce the speed and therefore increase the cost of heating the kiln inevitably. The most cost effective and quickest model is the ordinary SC2 with an intact door with no window or bead door so do ask yourself if you really need those features.

Krysia@No98

Kilncare were doing a new kiln that is very much like a SC2 called 'Ace'  I don't know if it has a bead door. Personally if I was to buy a kiln now, that is what I would go for.  Apart from the fantastic after sales service it wouldn't arrive looking like a 30 year old tractor.
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Essex Girl

I tried to buy an Ace but there was not much demand and would have been too expensive so Kilncare told me that they would not be continuing with it.  I got an SC2 instead.
Karen
x

Jane C ♫

I have recently acquired a SC2. If you're going to be doing bead annealing in it then there's a firing cycle on fritipedia (I think) and it's definitely linked to from the forums here. It works well and the post tells you exactly which key presses to use to set it up (the manual which comes with your kiln is a bit dense ...!)

If you want to do small scale work it's fine. I have the one with the window and the bead door. The pack comes with a piece of ceramic fibre to cover the window when not in use (improves heat retention) and the bead door can be locked shut which helps to keep the heat in.

If you're going to do lampwork, then get the one with the bead door so you have the option of leaving things on the mandrel. The window is a bit of a gimmick but I'm sure it will be useful ...

(My other kiln is the Kilncare Hobbyfuser, which I've had for about 3 years and been very happy with - I got the SC2 because it seemed a shame to heat up a big kiln like that for half a dozen beads!)
Hand Painted Silk and Fused Glass Artist.
Lampwork Beginner!
Website