my torch isn't working right!

Started by jammie, August 12, 2013, 03:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jammie

Its a bobcat, its flames are way to long, the yellow candles are long and uneven! My tanks still got gas, it could be low but its been wrong for over 2 weeks now, i cant seem to get the right oxygen propane mix, if i set the oxygen to the usual setting im having to turn the propane up to get it to a decent flame and then its reducing everything and getting sooty streaks. I'm at a loss. I've cleaned the torch with wire, a good few times, ive tried to clean the little slots with the oxygen vents on the torch but it seemed to work okat at first but now its just not right! Help anyone please?  :'(

mizgeorge

could it be the regulator?

I think I'd just reset the whole thing - and I'm a big fan of Sean's instructions for this:

http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=27229.msg449733#msg449733

last post on page 1

jammie

I reset it all George having found that thread!  :) Having did a search I think I have a carbon build up, tap tapping equals little sparks coming off?? It seems to be getting better as we've cleaned the face with a steel brush, poked all the holes and tapped the torch, but there seems to be an awful big build up.  :-\

Madam Steph

Is it a new torch, Jeannie?
I have a Cricket, and as I recall, when I bought it back in circa May 2011 I also had a build up of carbon at the torch holes for a couple of months. It also caused colours like CIM Chalcedony to go streaky grey in the melting. (I remember putting a posting up on here about it).
I was constantly poking the holes with the pokey thing, then I lost the pokey things (it came with 2).
All I did then was used my trusty butter knife and knocked the glowy bits off as they occurred (torch still going), and it settled down in days.
I have had no trouble since, which leads me to wonder if it's just a bedding in of the GTT torches.
I used to think about upgrading mine, but since Di East showed me how to use it properly, (thanks, Di), I wouldn't be without it
Hope it sorts itself out soon for you

Linda x

jammie

No, a few years old Linda! I think what might possibly have happened was when my oxy wasn't working properly before it packed in, my flame caused a build up..too much propane in the flame and I didn't actually notice as it was gradual and now its a bad build up  ??? 
the advice seems to be to knock off the glowy bits, which I haven't done till now not realising I should.  :(