Help how do you melt carousel cabochons?

Started by CarolB, July 12, 2013, 08:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarolB

Hi
If this is in the wrong place then I'm sorry. I attended the "by George, it's lush" back in march and really enjoyed it. Finally I've bought some thin fire paper (had it a while actually).

But I don't know what temperature the kiln should be at to melt cabochons... Could any of you lovely people please advise?

Thank you carol

CarolB

No George, should I have bought it? Sorry I didn't know carol

mizgeorge

Nothing to be sorry for Carol! I just thought it might be a good starting point, as well as a reminder of the ones you made in the class :)

CarolB

Thank you I didn't know where to start looking for a tutorial -silly newbie xx

Pat from Canvey

I melt beads into cabochons at 785 deg cent.

CarolB

Thank you Pat, think I had better buy the tutorial as well :)

Pat from Canvey

No need for a tut. Just put a few beads on fibre paper and crank up the kiln. Leave space around each bead for the glass to flow. As for programming the kiln, I just change the 520 deg cent at which I garage my beads to the 785 and leave the rest of the program unchanged. Go for it.

JanieD

That's really useful to know Pat, have been meaning to do this with some broken bead halves, and now I have the info!

Jane

Cecilia

Hi, the link for info I used before was "Gwaciebeads" but it doesn't seem to be there anymore.

I found a link on LE - http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199637 which maybe helpful.
X

CarolB

Lush!

Quote from: Pat from Canvey on July 17, 2013, 06:43:30 AM
No need for a tut.

Ouch!

Carousel Cabochons are a bit more involved than just putting beads in the kiln  ;)

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

chipperpottery

I have Julies tut and there is so much info and ideas, it is worth buying. ::)

CarolB

Hi Julie I completely didn't think to ask the temperature you put the kiln on when I was on the 2 day course. I will buy the tut for more info when I get around to it, like everything else at the minute I will do it tomorrow (then I forget) lol carol

Lush!

No problem Carol, I've just emailed you the "by george, it's Lush!" course notes - the schedule and instructions are included.

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com