Goddess Bead Press - How difficult are they to use - ?

Started by Barnacle Bay, July 05, 2013, 08:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barnacle Bay

Hi folks,

Hope you all are enjoying the start to a super hot weekend - fingers crossed though far too hot down here for any torch work  :(

Anyway, I have spied a Goddess Bead Press and I am wondering how difficult they are to use, and if any free tuts are available anywhere?

Thanks in advance,

Lou
x

tinker

Never tried one tbh, found them easy enough to make without. Have a look for some YouTube video on how to make them by hand and have a go. I imagine having to fit it all into the goddess 'mould' would actually make it more tricky than by hand!

Les

I didn't even know they existed.  Tbh, my preference is for all goddess beads I make to be unique.  Lentil presses and such like are great for uniformity though :) That's just personal taste though.

They probably are easier to make by hand anyway :)

Les

Just out of curiosity,  have you got a link to it ?

Enchanted Cobwebs

I have one, they help shape but you still need to create. I found that I got cracks along the legs as the press doesnt allow enough glass but once you know that its nice to have a mould to drop your goddess into to keep bum on target. (wish I could do that with mine!) then build tum and boobs with a rest.

Hx
Now I can play all day as I retired from the 'proper' job....
http://www.enchantedcobwebs.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/EnchantedCobwebs

Redhotsal

A friend of mine had bought one and was struggling with it - actually - the bead ended up quite long and she was getting cracking as she couldn't keep all of it hot enough. I had a go with it - you have to sort of make a goddessy shape before it goes in the press. I didn't find it too tricky but it does take up a lot of glass and if you're a newbie to presses I certainly woudln't think it was an easy one to start with. It was a pleasing shaped goddess to end up with, but I'm with Les on this - can't see the point in churning out identical goddesses. I reckon the fun is in adding the anatomical bits and bobs free hand, so to speak. Can't remember where she bought it though.

Pegasus

Hi Lou, my advice would be to use your money to buy Teresa Laliberte's goddess tutorial. I saw her make her fantastic goddess beads at Flame Off a few years ago & I made my goddesses from just watching her. Give it a go, they're easier to make than they look!

Niobe3 by Pegasus Lampwork, on Flickr

Isis by Pegasus Lampwork, on Flickr
~ BEV ~
www.pegasuslampworktools.co.uk      

spexy

I had one and made these two beads with it.

Woodland Goddess by Earthshine Lampwork Bead and Jewellery Design, on Flickr

Angel goddess by Earthshine Lampwork Bead and Jewellery Design, on Flickr

I had problems with the legs cracking on this one but as Helen says as long as you are aware of it you're ok.

I sold it because someone was looking for one and I didn't use it that much.

You can buy them from http://www.bavarianbeads.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=398

Redhotsal

yep - I think it was the Bavarian press that I used, too.  :)

arachnia

I was going to buy one but couldn't afford to it at the time I mentioned it on facebook and a couple of friends inboxed me a rough tutorial of how they make them  and I went from there.

This is my first one

This is the last one I did

Still a bit of PPP to be done I am glad now I didn't buy the press.
Vickie
]

Barnacle Bay

Thank you ever so much everyone, great information, and stunning Goddess sculptures.

Les, the one I found was from Bavarian Beads,   http://www.bavarianbeads.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=398

Pegasus - thanks for the tut info I Will certainly give that a closer look.

I think I will try and make one by freehand first as the press is quite pricey and I worried about wasting glass, though I have read somewhere that that they should be heated up, I presume by placing it on top of a kiln and not inside it lol.

Thanks again folks  ;)

Lou
x

Redhotsal

You don't have to heat them up - although it helps to stop the glass shocking. Actually - once you've had the bead in the press for a couple of times it will probably heat up by itself. You will need to keep placing something complicated like a goddess into a press - I think it took me around four pressings to push the glass into all the shaped areas anyway - so by the time you finish it will be quite hot.

Barnacle Bay

Quote from: Redhotsal on July 06, 2013, 06:05:48 PM
You don't have to heat them up - although it helps to stop the glass shocking. Actually - once you've had the bead in the press for a couple of times it will probably heat up by itself. You will need to keep placing something complicated like a goddess into a press - I think it took me around four pressings to push the glass into all the shaped areas anyway - so by the time you finish it will be quite hot.

Yep I thought that might be the case though the shocking is what I would like to avoid, though my finances cannot stretch to buying one at the mo, esp when ones not working and cannot get any govement benefits  :(  I should not have worked so hard  >:(

the lady with the lamp

Hi,i think if you put goddess lampwork bead in at you-tube there is a tutorial,that wont cost you any thing,Parin.

Barnacle Bay

Quote from: the lady with the lamp on July 07, 2013, 01:22:29 AM
Hi,i think if you put goddess lampwork bead in at you-tube there is a tutorial,that wont cost you any thing,Parin.

Yes did that but found them not too be that clear plus they always over dub the video with some awful music  >:(

Made one last night and it has come out not too bad for a first attempt  :)