Help with Kiln Shelves

Started by bellag13, June 24, 2013, 09:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat from Canvey

I stick an ordinary household tile left over from DIY in the bottom of my SC2 kiln when annealing beads, just in case the kiln malfunctions and overshoots. If I'm turning a rubbish bead into a cabochon, I just put fibre paper on top of the tile. I use a rack when garaging but none if I'm batch annealing beads that already have their mandrels removed. Household tiles can be cut to shape with a cheap tile saw. I also use my tile saw to cut up very old kiln shelves that have been damaged by repeated high temperture pot melts, I use the cut up undamaged parts as dams when fusing in my larger ancient pottery kiln. You don't need to use a pyrex dish to batch anneal. Leave it out and you'll have a lot more room.

bellag13

Thank you so much for your help, I've learnt
quite a bit and I should be able to sort something
out now.

just 1 more question for Pat,  can i use the tile as it is or do i have to treat it with anything
do i put the beads on the glazed side
opps  thats 2 questions

Pat from Canvey

I just use the tile as is and put it in the kiln glazed side up. Annealing temperatures are not hot enough to melt the glaze. If they were, the beads themselves would melt. I make cabochons from wonky beads at 785 deg Centigrade. In that case, I put Bullseye fibre paper on top of the tile.

bellag13

thanks very much Pat.

I've learn quite a bit, thank you everyone.