Silver going yellow after dipping

Started by Enchanted Cobwebs, July 07, 2013, 06:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enchanted Cobwebs

I have dipped some silver bracelets I made ages ago, they are sterling beads on stretchy stuff. They were tarnished a little so I dipped in Goddards silver dip. I always wash well afterwards in fairy liquid and rinse and have never had a problem before. Today in the market a lady was buying one of the bracelets and noticed a little area looking like nicotine stain. I reduced it and she bought it (but ensured she has my details in the event that her silver dip doesnt work)

So, what have I done wrong? They were only dipped yesterday so it cant be tarnish again. The beads are cooksons so I'm confident about them being silver. Does this happen if they are not well enough washed afterwards? Also might be worth a mention, my silver dip is only about 2 inches at the botton of the bottle so its been well used, does it 'go off'?

Puzzled
Now I can play all day as I retired from the 'proper' job....
http://www.enchantedcobwebs.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/EnchantedCobwebs

Blue Box Studio

Be interested to know the answer as I have a new container of Goddard's silver dip, dipped a lot of earrings to clean them,really well washed and dried, in ziplock bags with an anti tarnish tab and they are all lloking a bit dirty, and yes, nicotine stained would be the word to describe it.  All my silver is from Cooksons or Palmers, definitely sterling.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Jeanniegems

Oooer a bit worrying, I have a pile waiting to be dipped but not sure if I should now. Looking forward to any other comments

Jeannie x
www.jeanniegems.co.uk
www.jeanniegems.etsy.com

Sarah A

Ooh I have a different make dip (the name escapes me) but I've never washed it off just always dried it with the silver cloth that was in the box!

Angie

I dipped some silver plated chain and it did the same...I assumed it was because it wasn't st silver
www.angiesnelling.com
In the future, all will be glass...

mizgeorge

I think dip can leave a bit of a yellow cast - especially if it's an older pot. I always finish any tidying up with a good quality polishing cloth. I prefer the Sunshine ones, because they don't feel horrid to the touch. I'm often quite surprised by what a difference it makes.

As for being sure beads are silver - the only way to be certain is if they're assayed. There was a problem a couple of years ago with a number of imported components being sold by a popular supplier here in the UK failing assay.

It's worth bearing in mind that many commercial sterling silver beads and findings are silver plated (over sterling) to make them look shinier and to save on cleanup and polishing during manufacture. This thin layer of plating can wear away, exposing the original sterling below, which can often show signs of tarnish or even firestain in some cases.

Enchanted Cobwebs

Quote from: mizgeorge on July 07, 2013, 10:37:43 PM
I think dip can leave a bit of a yellow cast - especially if it's an older pot. I always finish any tidying up with a good quality polishing cloth. I prefer the Sunshine ones, because they don't feel horrid to the touch. I'm often quite surprised by what a difference it makes.

As for being sure beads are silver - the only way to be certain is if they're assayed. There was a problem a couple of years ago with a number of imported components being sold by a popular supplier here in the UK failing assay.

It's worth bearing in mind that many commercial sterling silver beads and findings are silver plated (over sterling) to make them look shinier and to save on cleanup and polishing during manufacture. This thin layer of plating can wear away, exposing the original sterling below, which can often show signs of tarnish or even firestain in some cases.

Thanks, didnt know this!
Off to buy a new pot of dip and one of those sunshine cloths! If I'd had a decent cloth I wouldnt even have thought of dipping

Thanks everyone for comments
Now I can play all day as I retired from the 'proper' job....
http://www.enchantedcobwebs.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/EnchantedCobwebs