Main Menu

Copper Filings

Started by jazzylily, May 22, 2013, 11:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jazzylily

Hi

Any idea where I can buy asmall quantity of fine copper filings?

Thanks
Pauline :)
PAULINE

www.jazzylily.com

babyshoes

I'm sure I read a while ago on a forum that someone was getting copper filings from their local key cutting shop. Might be worth an ask, though they may not be just copper as they may have keys made from different metals... Another place to ask would be a local engineering shop if they work with copper at all...

jazzylily

Thanks I never thought of that will try it out
Pauline
PAULINE

www.jazzylily.com

Shirley

I guess it depends how much you need, bu have you thought of making your own? I have bought fairly thick copper wire from an ironmonger's before and it is quite easy to work with a steel file.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

mizgeorge

Quote from: Shirley on May 29, 2013, 12:17:46 PM
I guess it depends how much you need, bu have you thought of making your own? I have bought fairly thick copper wire from an ironmonger's before and it is quite easy to work with a steel file.

Exactly what I'd have said - a bit of old copper plumbing pipe produces a lot of filings very quickly, and you can vary the coarseness with different files.

Moira HFG

This is a new one on me. What can you do with copper filings?

tinker

We have a scrap metal place locally I think its on Rabans Lane, Pauline - I think its called Roblins or something. Might be worth a try?

Shirley

Quote from: Moira HFG on May 29, 2013, 05:13:28 PM
This is a new one on me. What can you do with copper filings?

Copper goes red when encased
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Moira HFG

I see, thanks.
I'd better attack a bit of plumbing pipe with a file as well then, it sounds interesting.