How on earth do you decide which kiln!!

Started by Niki Gough, May 21, 2013, 08:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niki Gough

I have got the money together (thanks to my mum) to be able to buy a kiln and I am having such a hard time trying to decide which one!! I like the door on the bead cube and the fact that it is small so I wouldn't have to relocate all of my jewellery making bits however I like the extra size of the SC2 and have heard good things about it.

Then my husband saw that there wasn't much price difference between that and the bluebird which would be far to big for me now but I would probably never outgrow it. It would mean moving all of my jewellery making bits though which wouldn't be a massive issue but maybe a little headache.

How on earth do you decide - Help please!!!
Niki x
N Designs Crafts

Every oops is an aah waiting to happen.

JanieD

It depends what you want to do with it . I recently bought an SC2 with bead door and window as I wanted to garage beads and also fire metal clay in a firing box so needed the versatility.
I did look at the Beadcube, but thought I wouldn't fit as much in, and the Bluebird didn't get hot enough for metal clay.

Jane

Emma @ Tuffnell Glass

The main decision is 'what do I want to do?' If you only want to do beads and have no interest in fusing,metal clay etc then a Paragon Bluebird is ideal. It does however only anneal beads but it has lots of space for lots and lots of beads!!
For anything else you need a kiln that fires at higher temps, say an sc2 or sc3(slightly bigger than the sc2 version) Both these kilns are produced in the USA and then imported to us.
Your other choice is a company called Kilncare. They produce similar kilns but they are built right here in the UK.
I know lots of bead makers choose kilncare and lots choose Paragons. The important thing is to get the kiln that suites your needs.
I hope this helps  :)
Em xx

Barnacle Bay

Well done on getting the money - I bet your a happy bunny  ;D

I think the 'what do I want to do' is exactly the right question to be asking yourself - and maybe think about 'what would I like to do, or have a go at in the future'.  

For me this would be an easy question to answer as in the future I want to incorporate ceramics into the equation, so my next kiln will be a good size ceramic kiln, as I know they are more versatile, as my mother was a potter for over 30 years and made some amazing things using different mediums.
I have outgrown my little kiln which is the same size as a bead cube maybe a bit bigger, and know that a glass kiln I personally would find too restrictive - only my opinion of course  :)

If you haven't already, have a look here:    www.paragonkilns.co.uk/shop.htm?https://cherryheavensafeshopping.portal.ID0625

Good luck on choosing, and let us know what you decide.

theflyingbedstead

Take your time thinking about this, as I agree with everyone about trying to future-proof your decision! The Beadcube, SC2 and Maxine are all excellent kilns for beads. I chose the SC2 as I wanted to work with silverclay and Bronzeclay, but now space is at a premium in my little studio, so I am downsizing to the cube. I think that I am an exception to the rule though!
If you do decide on the SC2, Tuffnells sell a fab little bead rack to cram as many beads in as you can, and Kilncare do the same for the cube.
Charlotte x

JKC

My first kiln was a hobby fuser, which I love.  Had a paragon sc3, no bead door, wasn't keen on it and sold it on.  Then I bought a maxine just for beads, so that I could fuse and bead on the same day.  It's a shame that the maxine temp doesn't go a bit higher though for small scale fusing.  Janet  I would also like a vitrograph kiln and a kiln that can cope with porcelain, sadly I will not get either of these. Janet

Niki Gough

Thanks a lot everyone, I think I am leaning towards the SC2 as although I don't do anything else now I am sure it will only be a matter of time before I might like a go at fusing or metal clay so this would at least give me those options if I wanted to.

Next question is do I need the window? The bead door is a must for me but as the kiln will be raised slightly do I need the window or is this a good thing to have for say fusing?

It is all so confusing but in a good way.

Thanks again x
Niki x
N Designs Crafts

Every oops is an aah waiting to happen.

Barnacle Bay

Theres one for sale on here -sounds a bargain:   http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=41185.0;topicseen

Inc P & P  :o  not sure if its got a bead door

theflyingbedstead

You'd definitely need a bead door if you are going to anneal as you go - unless you only wanted to batch anneal! I'm not sure how much visibility you'd get with the window, but I'm sure someone here will know!

£450 is an excellent price. Last week there was one sold on ebay and that was the basic one without the bead door for £509.93 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200923803478?ru=http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=200923803478&_rdc=1

Edited to add - but a new one with kiln shelf is £579 including delivery...

But is nice to know quite how much they hold their value...

Charlotte x

Barnacle Bay

Mine doesn't have a bead door, which I thought at the start was a pain - but now I prefer to plan my work - make a few beads etc and then batch anneal.  for me personally I can see which things I want to recreate and it has saved me time and has reduced wasted glass.

theflyingbedstead

I think we're making it harder for decisions!

Are you thinking that making lots of sets will be in your future plans? And do you prefer making quick beads as opposed to labouring over 1 for ages? Also, how much time in one sitting do you have to make beads? If you have full days to bead in and will probably make loads then a Maxine might well be the way forward.

Charlotte x

binty

The sc2 for sale is mine, it does have a bead door xx

Barnacle Bay

Quote from: binty on May 21, 2013, 02:06:26 PM
The sc2 for sale is mine, it does have a bead door xx

I'm really tempted - might be nice to have another kiln with a bead door, then I can batch & bead anneal as I go  :D

theflyingbedstead

There are advantages to annealing as you go; some striking colours can behave very differently, and shocky colours (like some of the opalinos and messy ones) have a far better survival rate!
Charlotte x

Barnacle Bay

Hubby says no - not allowed to buy it - must stick to buying a large ceramic kiln.