Foils in fusing

Started by fleurbrawl, March 22, 2008, 12:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleurbrawl

Has anyone had any experience with using copper/silver/gold foils in fusing projects.
I did a test piece last night with a couple of small shards of silver foil between to translucent colours and the foil hardly shows. It seems to have almost disappeared, leaving just a shadow of its' former self :)
Kays' OH :)

2B or not 2B, that is the pencil.

BlueMoon

I've used everything from aluminum foil to gold leaf with varying results. If you are using leaf, you might want to put several layers. Foils seem to do better. Try reducing your temp a bit or not hold as long when full fusing. There is a point where the foils start to break apart. Silver foils tends to stay silver, Copper sheet works well also...turns a nice red color.....but usually  allows some air bubbles. Just make up a bunch of test strips with various metal inclusions and see what you get. (and have fun!) There is a really good book on some of these techniques...I can't remember the name of it but when I get to work today I'll find it and post it here.

Kilns, Torches, Tools & Supplies for Lampworking and Fusing

fleurbrawl

Did have the kiln on a slightly longer hold than normal as rounding off some small pieces for Kay.
Will try again with a shorter one soon.

BlueMoon

That book I was thinking of is WARM GLASS  A Complete Guide to Kiln-Forming Techniques by Philippa Beveridge, Ignasi Domenech, & Eva Pascual  It's available from Amazon.com

Kilns, Torches, Tools & Supplies for Lampworking and Fusing

fleurbrawl

That book is now on my amazon wishlist. Thanks.  ;D