Main Menu

Ring query

Started by Magpie, April 12, 2013, 07:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magpie

OK, back story, I've lost a fair bit of weight over the last couple of years and now my wedding ring is too big. So far I'm OK but it slips over my knuckle quite easily and I'm slightly scared of it going missing one day and me not noticing. I know I can get it adjusted but it's shaped on the inside so I don't know how easy it will be and they'll take out some of the gold which (call me emotional if you want) I don't want to do as it is sort of like taking something out of my marriage (irrational rather than emotional?).

Anyhow, I like slider rings, you know, where there's an outer band which slides round an inner band. My ring is an M and with the same size ring I now measure as a K, is 2 sizes enough difference to turn it into a slider ring? I know as the ring gets wider you need a larger size, but don't know how much difference it makes.

Can any of the silversmiths advise please? I don't really want this ring 'fiddled' with or adjusted, just the inner band added. I've got a picture in my head of a large piece of tubing, ring on it, then use dapping punches to flare the ends, a bit like coring a BHB (though in my head the finished ring has more square ends than flared). Is this possible or am I living in cloud cuckoo land?

mizgeorge

Helen - this one's pretty easy to do - I did something similar for a lovely lady recently who'd lost her husband and wanted to turn his ring into a spinner for herself. Done in silver, it really isn't that expensive either. Two sizes isn't a big difference, but unless your original ring is very wide, it should still be perfectly feasible - in fact, it's something you could do yourself if you wanted.

However you say there is shaping on the inside, which might make it less easy as it may not spin freely on a liner. Can you take a picture perhaps?

The other alternative would be to just add a ring clip - like this http://www.cooksongold.com/category_select.jsp?query=ring+clip until you decide exactly what you want to do.

Magpie

Quote from: mizgeorge on April 12, 2013, 07:52:22 PM
..... in fact, it's something you could do yourself if you wanted.

Ummm, no! Coring a BHB is about my limit at the moment! (And I still haven't tried it with silver, just copper and brass so not too pricey if I muck it up.)

It's a standard 4mm wedding band, nice and plain. The shaping on the inside is for 'comfort', it's slightly rounded rather than being flat (and the ring is round with no dents so should spin well).

Quote from: mizgeorge on April 12, 2013, 07:52:22 PM
The other alternative would be to just add a ring clip - like this http://www.cooksongold.com/category_select.jsp?query=ring+clip until you decide exactly what you want to do.

Temporarily, yes, this looks like a quick fix while I get my act together. How do the sizes work? If my ring is just under 4mm (3.6mm measured with my calipers) wide would I need the size 10 3x9mm (halfway down)?

Thank you!

mizgeorge

That would be the one Helen.

If you decide you want to do the spinner, just give me a shout - you can always come here and do it! It's very similar in technique to coring a bhb, just with bigger tools!