Blow Pipe & Me Dizzy - Now Fixed

Started by Barnacle Bay, August 01, 2013, 05:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barnacle Bay

Will do, all in kiln so waiting for the morning

jammie

they look great, i'm still struggling with making shards, very impressed!  :)

Barnacle Bay

Quote from: jammie on August 04, 2013, 11:15:19 AM

I think making the size of the hole at the mouthpiece end to the same diameter of the end has made it a whole lot easier, and can still alter the flow via the other two small holes in the pipe.  I have now looked at professional blowing pipes and they seem to have a decent size hole at both ends.

jammie

yep a hollow pipe/tube! i'm still struggling, byt will persevere!  ::) ;D

Calico Cat

Quote from: Barnacle Bay on August 04, 2013, 11:27:47 AM
Quote from: jammie on August 04, 2013, 11:15:19 AM

I think making the size of the hole at the mouthpiece end to the same diameter of the end has made it a whole lot easier, and can still alter the flow via the other two small holes in the pipe.  I have now looked at professional blowing pipes and they seem to have a decent size hole at both ends.

If there are two small holes at the sides near one end, that is a mandrel for blowing hollow beads that are built up around those side holes - in fact, the end nearest those holes is usually completely blocked to force the air out of the little holes (the mouthpiece being the other open end) - if it is, I'm not surprised you had problems  ;) I notice these are called blowpipe mandrels on Tuffnels site but they aren't for blowing shards.

A blow pipe mandrel - like the Slim Jim - is usually the same diameter hole all the way along.

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .

Pat from Canvey

Quote from: Calico Cat on August 04, 2013, 04:00:33 PM

If there are two small holes at the sides near one end, that is a mandrel for blowing hollow beads that are built up around those side holes - in fact, the end nearest those holes is usually completely blocked to force the air out of the little holes (the mouthpiece being the other open end) - if it is, I'm not surprised you had problems  ;) I notice these are called blowpipe mandrels on Tuffnels site but they aren't for blowing shards.

A blow pipe mandrel - like the Slim Jim - is usually the same diameter hole all the way along.

That's the thought that occurred to me Carol and you've just confirmed it for me. If you want to use the mandrel you've cut for blowing hollow beads, just dip the end into bead release and let it dry in the end hole but leaving the two small side holes free. If they do get covered with release, just let it dry and poke the holes out with a pin.

Barnacle Bay

So I had it the wrong way round  :D  It really should of come with some numpty proof instructions.

It is working really, really well so never mind, I am very happy with it.