Any bright ideas to cover a wooden table for Lampwork?

Started by Empyrean, May 14, 2012, 08:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yellow friend

I used to have a granite worktop off cut but DH took that to make a hearth for the wood burner - I now have a stainless steel sheet that should have been the back splash for my cooker - not sure what will be there if he finds a use for that too :) or ever gets round to fixing it to the wall -  ::) the joys of being married to a builder.

Shelia
www.crocosmiajewellery.com
www.crocosmiajewellery.etsy.com

babyshoes

Just wondering if anyone has tried heat proof paint (the stuff you'd use on a BBQ or radiator) for a wooden table? I'm about to have a workbench made for me with a thick ply top, and I don't really fancy resting my arms on tiles or a cold sheet of stainless - the workshop is mighty chilly, even in summer apparently! Do you think it would work? I will put down a metal baking sheet or two for hot rods & tools, and to protect the area just below the flame, but I want to protect the rest of the surface a bit from flying bits of fritty glass!

Glyn Burton

There is heat proof and heat proof. The sort of heat a radiator paint has to withstand is a long way from a blob of hot glass. You could try covering the table with tiles/steel and then use cork tiles or place mats for the bit where your arms go. Cork will scorch but not burst into flames, try setting fire to a wine cork and see what I mean. I am a big fan of the creation station and they use pads which are like mouse mats, they get a bit singed but have yet to burst into flames. And any way whats life like without a bit of risk.

Angie

I rest my elbows on bags of porridge oats or rice and keep repairing holes with duck tape! Does the  trick. Now I have a creation station but still fond of the oats!
www.angiesnelling.com
In the future, all will be glass...

babyshoes

Quote from: Glyn Burton on February 19, 2013, 07:03:09 PM
There is heat proof and heat proof. The sort of heat a radiator paint has to withstand is a long way from a blob of hot glass...

That's pretty much what my partner said. Apparently it only works up to a couple of hundred degrees, and beyond that it might give off toxic fumes. Oh well, back to the drawing board. Think I will try to find a few very large floor tiles and just plonk them down in the most vulnerable areas - the rest of the wood can take it's chances. It's unlikely to actually burst into flames, and a bit of scarring will just add character!

Nicknack

I use on of those large heatproof glass (boro?) mat things you have in the kitchen to put hot pans and stuff on.  Don't know if it's a good idea or not, but it's worked OK so far.  It doesn't protect the whole top, but covers the area right in front of and under the torch.

Nick

Kaz

She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Helen G

cheapest I could find at the time, floor tiles for me :)

Lynnybobs

I use an old metal tea tray - don't really need a rod rest as they won't roll off and also very useful if you spill your frit as it can easily be poured back into the pot !
Lynnybobs
----x----

Krysia@No98

I have bean bags for my elbows, they are meant to be the ones that you put in the microwave and heat up.  (You can put them in the microwave.. but they don't heat up and even better don't burst into flames)

Years ago we had a house fire and the fire landed on on the cork tiles, burnt cork tiles smell BAD.
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Yellow friend

I also have a sheet of the rubbery silicon cookery stuff.  It will burn/melt if it's really really hot but I've only got one singe mark so it works most of the time.
Shelia
www.crocosmiajewellery.com
www.crocosmiajewellery.etsy.com

babyshoes

Quote from: Yellow friend on February 20, 2013, 11:30:13 AM
I also have a sheet of the rubbery silicon cookery stuff.  It will burn/melt if it's really really hot but I've only got one singe mark so it works most of the time.
Shelia

Ooh, I was just wondering what temperature that stuff can handle - I have a few bits from the pound shop, including one of those sheets which I mostly use for opening tight jars! :D
The FiL loves his BBQ silicone oven gloves though.

Methinks a bit of google research is in order!

Nick

Hi

I use these

http://www.suttontools.co.uk/soldering-melting/soldering-boards.html

the 12x300x300 mm ones to protect the back wall of my shed behind the torch and on the bench. Hot glass no problem, short bursts of direct flame again no problem. They are designed to be able to protect surfaces whilst soldering items on them.