A different perspective on craft fairs

Started by Blue Kiln Beads, April 11, 2013, 09:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Kiln Beads

Apologies if this has been linked to already.  I found it an interesting read.  :)

http://ukhandmade.co.uk/content/business-different-approach-craft-fairs/
Yvette Goodridge
www.bluekilnbeads.blogspot.com
www.bluekilnbeads.etsy.com

marklaird

That's a fascinating read and a new take on attending craft fairs. I have to admit that when I attend them, I have always tend to come away thinking that I haven't sold enough, but have never considered the impact that just talking to potential customers was having.

Many thanks for posting the link.

Mark

CarolB

I need to read this when I get home x thank you

Glassy Lou

Nicknack

DementedMagpie

I'm getting a "page not found" message :(

I was getting that yesterday, but it's working now.
Kathy

Blog - Flickr - Etsy - Facebook

Lotti

I got it last night, and just checked this morning and am getting it showing again.

Very interesting reading.  I would agree wholeheartedly with the networking points, I have made so many friends, so many contacts and found so many new openings through craft fairs and markets, without them I would never have found the studio opportunity.  I do think also doing regular ones if possible are good as the word gets out where you are.  Have flyers and also have info on where else you sell and which markets you are doing, people are always reading my sign. :)

I am finding things quieter on the day, but am also getting post fair/market contacts and contacts from friends of people who have seen me at markets.  I wouldn't stop going to mine, I have so much fun!  I am scaling down those that I go to now though and am being a bit more picky about them!  Off to my regular outdoor one shortly in the drizzle and wind, but can't miss out on a day out with my friends and you just never know who might turn up!

Nicknack

I'm still getting 'Page not found'!  :'(

Nick

DragonArtGlass

I managed to read it less than 10 minutes ago - thanks it's interesting and has certainly given me a diferent perspective on craft fairs.
Now to sort myself and open an etsy shop...., and give myself a kick up the backside to get someting done.

TheJanie

Quote from: Nicknack on April 12, 2013, 10:20:04 AM
I'm still getting 'Page not found'!  :'(

You're not alone - I was getting that last night and am still getting it today :/

Edited to add:  Aha!  I added a final / to the end of the URL and now I can see the article :)

Zeldazog

nemeton

Thanks for this - it certainly helps to think of fairs as advertising/networking opportunities rather than purely as another selling platform  :)
Lynn

Keep up with me on Facebook or my blog

Blue Box Studio

Interesting read.  I mainly do Christmas season fairs because they are the ones I sell best at.  I have formed the opinion over the past few years that those fairs though are not my best option - but getting into anything with jewellery is always an uphill struggle.  I rarely get contact after a fair, am pretty sure my customers don't go on to shop with me online either and the few contacts I do get are invariable someone wanting me to travel 100 miles for a 2 hour fair in a village hall.  I have, however made a lot of friends and often pick up good tips of where to go or avoid (but then back to square one with 'full for jewellery') but, yes, I too have scaled back on those that aren't going to make some kind of return on my investment.  Some of my venues are great for networking but most are sadly not that kind of clientele and mostly a selling platform.  For example, I did a fair 8 miles from home over Easter and told people I was going to be doing North Somerset Arts Week (same county) and offered a flyer to mainly get 'oh we wouldn't travel that far to come and see you'.  Some you win and some you lose.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Shades of Colour

Definately a different way of looking at events and also myself when doing these events!!  My biggest struggle is knowing exactly how much to say to people.  The article says 'what do you expect as a customer'.  I know it winds me up as soon as I get to a stall and someone is annoying you so I probably tend to go completely the opposite way when I selling and probably don't say enough.   ???
Alison
www.facebook.com/shadesofcolourjewellery

nuttybeader

Thanks for that link.  It certainly put a different perspective on attending fairs and made me think about my attitude to them.