Kiln book query

Started by Moira HFG, February 17, 2013, 03:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moira HFG

Could anyone please recommend a book that covers the more technical aspect of kiln firing?

I have good ones by Keith Cummings and Helga Watkins-Baker which are great for the design and glass side of things, but I'd like to know more about the effects of temperature, kiln type and so on.

Thanks.

Lilley

The tech notes that Bullseye have on their website are good for the effects of temperature on their glass in particular and can be used as a starting point to think about other glasses if you know the strain, anneal etc points for the glass.
Can't help with the kiln types, but I expect someone else will be along with useful suggestions.
Suspect it is a case of experiment with the kilns and glass that you have access to, as each kiln will have its own quirks.
Glass - lampworked, blown, kilncast or fused and slumped, it's all good!

Moira HFG

Thanks for the tips.

I've downloaded the Bullseye stuff from the Warm Glass site and put it in a file (I know, I should get out more) -  but it hadn't occurred to me to go to the actual Bullseye site. They have more stuff on there, and also offer an online course over a year for $39, which I'm quite tempted by!

I've picked up some useful nuggets of info here and on other sites, but I'd quite like a handy reference volume. Any fusers out there with a book they swear by?