6mm Tekta

Started by CrazyKiln, August 19, 2013, 08:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyKiln

:-\I have just bought some 6mm Tekta and even though I have scored it as i usually would I can't get it to break. Any ideas?

Glyn Burton

Don't be timid with it, forget that it is glass and pretend that its wood. Metal cut-running pliers can be handy if you are nervous.
I regularly cut 25mm glass by scoring with a Toyo and then smacking it hard on the edge of a table!

Zeldazog

Quote from: CrazyKiln on August 19, 2013, 08:17:57 PM
:-\I have just bought some 6mm Tekta and even though I have scored it as i usually would I can't get it to break. Any ideas?

Which breaking method do you use?  For thicker pieces, I sometimes find breaking over the cutter (or a pencil or similar) lay along the line of the score helps.  Or, with the score along the edge of a carpet mat, one palm flat on one half, one on the other and do it standing up, full body weight.

I can do 6mm without too much difficulty - I've never been brave enough to try Glyn's banging hard on the edge of the table, but I have watched the lads at local window place doing that.  Yikes!   :o :o

I've been able to break up to 8mm, for thicker glass I sometimes use a pistol grip cutter instead.

Don't forget that the cut will begin to 'heal' itself and it will get harder to break the longer you leave it, so you might need to score on the opposite side instead  if you've left it a while.

DragonArtGlass

try turning it over and pressing along the score from the back.

Zeldazog

Oh and you could try my least favourite method, but sometimes useful - tapping along the back of the score line with the ball end of your cutter. 

CrazyKiln

:)Thanks for all the suggestions. I usually cut my glass with pliers but no luck at all with the 6mm, so I pressed on the reverse side of the score line, turned it over and gave it a good whack. Success! However, far too stressful, so I may just go back to 2 x 3mm.