Playing with Ossa

Started by Glassy Lou, March 03, 2013, 11:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glassy Lou

Spent part of the afternoon playing with the Ossa that I picked up at the Harrogate Bead Fair yesterday.
I like it. It's purple, what's not to like? I even managed to get some shimmery mother of pearl colour out of it (not that you can really see that in these crappy photos, so apologies for that).
I'm sure a silver glass expert will be along soon to show us all what it can really do, but I was pretty happy to get anything at all out of it on my first attempt.
I guess what I'd say is if you're umming and ahhing over whether or not to get some, just do it. It plays nice and I think you'll be a fan.

I'm hoping this will link to my flikr account, it's been a while since I used it...

ossa by GlassyLou, on Flickr

ossa over heffalump encased by GlassyLou, on Flickr

ossa with poseidon encased by GlassyLou, on Flickr

ossa reduced then encased by GlassyLou, on Flickr

Lotti

This is one of my first with Ossa, I quite like it.  It does seem to easily over reduce so doesn't need very long at all.  Haven't tried it unencased yet, off to have a go shortly. :)

helbels

Here are my attempts with Ossa so far - as a base on this focal, encased - there is a slight metallic sheen on the bead in real life that you can't see here:

IMG_0004 by Alchemy Lampwork, on Flickr

And here again in this chaos bead.  Here the reduction sheen is stronger in places, so you can see what it looks like when heavily and not-so-heavily reduced:

IMG_0005 by Alchemy Lampwork, on Flickr

helbels

Ok, here are some bumpy beads that I made yesterday specially for Julie, and which give a hint of what Ossa might be capable of... I used 4 different bases:  Dk Ivory, Stoneground, Khaki and Opal Yellow.  On some I did a dot of deep black, then the Ossa, then reduced & encased.  On the others I did a dot of deep black, then a dot of the base bead colour, then the Ossa, then reduced and encased.

The array of colours in the dots is quite lovely - I particularly like the ones with the green tinge which actually colour shift from purple to green in the flesh depending on the viewing angle:

IMG_0026 by Alchemy Lampwork, on Flickr

IMG_0025 by Alchemy Lampwork, on Flickr

Ilona

I made set using a base of trans Kelp. I must say I think this glass is rather nice and it is lovely under the light.

Lakelady

It's a nice easy base  ;D

Ossa Flowers by TRGA, on Flickr
Turner Rowe Glass Art

Ciel

This bead is made with a base of Ossa, with clio over the top and encased in clear.

Lyn G

justjules

I managed to get something I was happy with

Ossa tornado pendant by just jules 41, on Flickr