Advice on how to glue in silver BHB grommets please?

Started by Ant, February 01, 2013, 11:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ant

I feel a bit embarrassed to ask this question as a lot of you properly core your BHBs, but I have yet to do Manda's bead coring course and so have been getting by for the moment by gluing in silver grommets using GS Hypo Cement.  Unfortunately, quite a few of the grommets have fallen out so, either I'm doing something wrong or I'm using the wrong sort of glue!

Does anyone have any advice on the best glue and technique for fixing these until I learn to core BHBs properly?  Would two-part expoxy be a better adhesive, and should you put the glue on the grommet or the bead or both?  Help please! ???

Trudi

Hi - whenever I've doen it I've used a quick drying 2 part epoxy, and I usually just put it on the bead and slip the grpmmet in. Let it dry before putting the other side in.

And don't be embarassed to ask ... it's how we all learn!

Sarah A

I've used 2 part epoxy too. I put the glue on the grommet put that on the point of a pencil glue the head and put it on the grommet. I haven't glued any for over a year but think I either reversed the process for the other end so glue bead then grommet and put grommet on head hole. I found the pencil really helped secure the grommet in the bead.

Blue Box Studio

2 part epoxy here as well, but I use a pair of (I call them) reverse tweezers - the ones you pinch the middle and they open, to pop it in and then release.  Any spare glue, 'cos I'm a mucky pup, can come off with a sharp pointy Stanley knife blade.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

amareargentum

I use E-6000 now. I find it easier to clean off any excess and you get a bit more time to position the grommet. I put the glue on the grommet rather than the bead. The bond is really strong after the 72 hours drying time.

Kathy

I have tried E6000 but I'm too impatient to leave it as long as it needs so two part epoxy is my glue of choice! ;) I have glued LOADS of grommets into BHB's and as yet, not one has ever come 'unstuck'! :)

Magpie

I use E6000. Put the grommet on a pair of tweezers, apply glue liberally all round the grommet (the bit that goes in the hole) put it in the bead and press well. Repeat for the other end. Then after about 10-15 minutes it's sort of gone to the point where it's not set but is getting there, I clean off the excess, just pull it off with the tweezers, it comes off a lot easier than if you let it set all the way then try to clean it off. Then leave until properly set. If the bead is slightly wonky I've been known to use 2 or 3 bits of wire through the hole and round the bead to hold the grommet tight in position while the glue sets. Cut the wire off when glue is dry.

Glyn Burton

I always use Araldite I find it gives a very good bond quite quickly. I do thousands a year and never have a problem with them coming out.
My method is to put the grommet onto a pencil to hold it and then put the glue on with a cocktail stick. If I have been a bit messy any surplus can be trimmed off with a scalpel after about 15mins.
Araldite make their profits on what you throw away so don't mix up too much at once, a pea sized blob from each tube will do loads of beads.

nete

You need to make sure the bead is really clean. I've found the slightest bit of bead release may cause a problem. I'm a 2 part Araldite girl although I think they've been bought out by Evo stick. I guess it's the same though I've not tried the new stuff yet.
If in doubt give the inside of the hole and inside edge of the gromet a wipe round with very fine wet and dry paper then wipe with some spirit or nail varnish remover to take away the dust and grease.

Nick

Araldite 2 part epoxy every time I need to glue glass. However I have heard E6000 is good to but never found anywhere that sells it. Could I ask where you are getting the E6000 from?

Thanks

mizgeorge

http://www.amazon.co.uk/E6000-Industrial-Strength-Adhesive-Ounce/dp/B0053TO0JK (inter alia)

Horrible stuff though. Smelly, messy and you need to discard the first part of each squeeze as it won't ever set.

I use devcon 2 part epoxy - the 5 minute version - for just about every gluing need. Works brilliantly, though the open time is very short, so only mix a tiny bit at a time.

Ant

Thanks all of you - you're a mine of information, as ever!  I've obviously been using completely the wrong glue!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

mizgeorge

So you know Ant, GS hypo is a useful glue, but definitely not a permanent option. It's great for dabbing on knots in elastic threads (as it's flexible and doesn't become brittle when dry), and is sometimes used for positioning pearls, but it's not much use for glass and metal!

Ant

Thanks for the info George - looks like I found that out the hard way!  ;)

Nick