Problems with Battwash

Started by Chaletgirl, January 12, 2013, 04:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaletgirl

I'm having problems with battwashing my kiln shelves - can anyone advise?  I'm using the standard producy from Warmglass, scraping off the old stuff, sanding the surface flat and making sure it's completely clean before I paint on the new stuff.  I do that in alternate directions and put on 6/7 coats.  As it dries it peels off!  What am I doing wrong?

This is my experience using my own kiln at home and I'm allowing the shelves to dry naturally.  I use the same method at uni but there I put the kiln on to dry the shelves and don't have any of the peeling off problem.  Is that what's making the difference?

♥♥Tan♥♥

It sounds as if it might be going on too thickly?

Zeldazog

I wouldn't think that air drying would cause the problem - I'd say same as Tan, its probably too thick.

Redhotsal

When I did mine it was quite thin - the water seemed to be absorbed straight into the shelf so there was not much to peel off. When it was totally dry I did another coat and another. I would think if you recoated it too soon it might peel but I agree with the others sounds like it may be too thick?

♥♥Tan♥♥

When I first mix a batch of kiln wash I stick a couple of glass marbles in the bottom and use a little whisk to mix it all together then when I think it is done I leave it for a few hours, its amazing how much it thickens in this time I guess it is because all the little clumps of wash powder I missed have dispersed. Then I give it a shake and have a look at it. I go for a consistency that is somewhere around single cream, it should be smooth and very liquid as it goes onto the shelf or the mold. If it is bitty or thick add a tiny bit of water, give it a shake, let it sit and then try again.

I do four or five coats, if the was is too thin from my mixing I just do a few more coats, its swings and roundabouts really, thinner wash dries quicker but if it's too thick it cracks and peels.