First Kiln Use, Firing schedule?

Started by bearyboo, January 12, 2013, 07:54:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearyboo

Now, please forgive me for sounding complely stupid but I have had a look on the Fh wiki and I am more confused than ever. I have got a paragon sc2, and I have unpacked everything but I have noidea what firing schedules are!

I have got a tile and a white thing that sits in the top. The instructions say its for ventilation. but when do I need to use this?

And as for firing schedules, can someone please be very kiln and explain what they are. I have read the manual and the wiki and I still have no clue.

I apologise for being a bit stupid but we have to start somewhere :)

xx

helbels

Hiya

This has been asked before, and this thread should help you:  http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=38947.0

Hope that helps  ;D

Corinne Lacy

I think I read somewhere, maybe on here, that for the first use run the kiln with nothing in it and leave the 'bung' cone out of the vent at the top to burn off any residues inside the kiln. After the first run always keep the bung in for any glass programmes.

Corinne

oliver90owner

Schedule is simply another word for programme. Ramping up the temperature, holding temperature, ramping down the temperature, turning off.

Your schedules will be dependent on what you are doing - metal clay, fusing, slumping, enamelling, bead annealing, carburising, tempering, etc.

Some processes may need an oxidising environment or generate unwanted products which need to be dissipated, so may need ventilation, hence the chimney and plug.

silkworm

I remember feeling like that - somewhat naively I expected the kiln instructions to include a range of schedules. We sat and looked at the kiln for a long time before it was used.
Mary

bearyboo

Thanks guys. I will attend a practise run tonight with nothing inside :) x

Margram

Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog