Tempered safety Glass

Started by withoutbubbles, January 05, 2013, 09:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

withoutbubbles

Tan, no worries, all advice to me is a great Help

Hello Pete,

thanks for your input, it's most appreciated

OK, I don't know for sure, but you may be mixing up a Lens with a Mirror regarding Telescope building
Take a look at this link, I own/built myself practically this same Kiln,  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXVaRnr9iG0&feature=relmfu
This person is using cut up pieces of plate float glass, the thing with me was that I have These sheets of Glass but they are tempered

Many Thanks
lee

qwirkyglass

in your first post you said that you are 99% posative that its tempered safety glass, have you tried attacking it with a hammer yet to find out? as if its not then life could be alot simpler.
i dont know alot about telescopes but would i be right in deducting that a mirror is flat and highly polished and the lens is curved?
have you got the equiptment to polish all the faces as this its self will take about another two weeks, ideally in a reciprolap. My tutor has just completed a commission for something very similar that i watched him working on, the difference being he wanted the veigning from the broken glass.
I would test on a small scale first like i said, and a couple more suppliers of billets are,
Gaffer Glass uk (available on thier own website)
and Bullseye glass (advisable to google, as i have always bought from my tutor.)
and uruboras (spectrum 96) available from creative glass guild
it can be possible, but think about every part :)