Mango Bead's Large Hole Mandrels on a HH

Started by Beansprout, December 26, 2012, 09:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beansprout

I sent this as an email to Mango beads HQ but it's xmas and they are on hollss!

I'm looking at buying some large hole mandrels (between 6mm and 12mm) but I am using a HH torch. I have tried a 24mm mandrel and the glass "bead" got stuck on there! ( I used bead release etc, the usual.. I could have maybe tried a few more layers)

I Thought that this could have been because the HH flame is colder than a Duel Fuel torch, and also because I was not able to put it straight into a kiln, which may have meant the glass shrank more and therefore got stuck.

I was wondering if the large mandrels would be OK to use with a HH torch without a kiln, with a few extra layers of bead release!

jobead

Did your bead get stuck on a 24mm mandrel or a 2.4mm one? If you are having problems with a 2.4mm mandrel I would get a bit more practice in before you move up to larger hole beads are they are quite tricky especially with HH heat, though it can be done.

I would think you should maybe dip the mandrel with a bit more bead release but also try not to pull the glass around the mandrel (if that makes sense) the lighter the glass goes on the easier it will be to get off. Not putting the beads straight in a kiln shouldn't create a stuck bead problem, I always batch anneal and don't suffer from stuck beads anymore than the next man !

Hope that helps, I would definitely invest in some of the Mango mandrels for larger hole beads when you are ready as they are much easier to use than the single width ones.

Beansprout

It's definitely a 24mm one! As in nearly one inch.

With these massive ones the glass cools so much before it comes back around in the HH flame it's pretty useless. It doesn't melt properly really. But that's with a mandrel that's an inch in diameter. If I used the Mango 6mm-10mm I'm hoping the glass won't get too cold around these ones!

jobead

That explains it, I only did 5/6mm on a hothead and that was quite difficult so it is probably a lack of heat problem. It is probably as you say that the glass isn't melting properly and is ending up too tight to the mandrel.

I know the 6mm are doable with a hothead but I don't know about the 10mm, why such big holes?

Beansprout

I'm looking to make dread beads :) They need to be about 10mm+ really, so I'll try a 6mm and see how I go...

jobead

A 6mm with a double dip of bead release might get you up to 8mm if you're lucky. Good luck.

Beansprout

Thank you jo!

Would a 6mm+ bead be ok to put into cooling bubbles and then send away to be annealed later?

jobead

Should be, as I say I always batch anneal so I let the beads cool and then put them in the kiln when I have enough to justify putting it on. Which is really the same process as you will be doing.

When Manda gets back she might know of people who manage 10mm on a HH, I think it might be hard work but I don't want to put you off if that's that size you need.

Beansprout

This is the reply I got from Amanda, thanks!

"One of the problems with the large hole mandrels is the beads becoming stuck and it is a problem that I too experienced when I first started making them.

It's very often because the correct stainless steel has not  been used, there are many different grades and its a big subject but they should be 316i stainless. We don't have that problem with ours and I would always recommend a strong bead release ( we use Blue Sludge for strength ) and we still have no problems with releasing the bead.

This is not to say that this is true of all big hole mandrels their are plenty around made using the correct material, but also many that are not.

It's certainly not a hot head issue - however if you have no kiln I would be concerned at making beads on mandrels over 9mm and not annealing them straight from the flame.

4, 5 and 6mm will most likely be fine but any bigger and turn an increased risk of cracking as they cool down .

So your sticking problems are most likely the mandrels themselves and what you're describing particularly on the 24mm ones available is not uncommon."

My Bloke's dad made the 24mm one and he isn't sure what type of stainless steel it was made from so that's probably the problem!