Frit-Happens !
January 19, 2021, 09:54:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
your ad here
News:
Where are you?? Add yourself to the NEW FHF map here  | On flickr? Join our Frit Happens group: here

VISIT THE WIKI HERE
Get FH Status updates via twitter @FritHappens

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: shelf paper/fibre paper  (Read 2486 times)
silkworm
Forum Member

« on: December 07, 2012, 10:58:54 AM »

I have had a read through the topics on here and am still confused. I have a Paragon S3, usually I just anneal beads but want to do some small fusing projects. I will be using mainly spectrum to use up glass I have then probably moving on to Bullseye. At the glass evening class I go to we use kiln wash but as I am not going to be doing so much at home would prefer paper. Is thinfire only compatible with Bullseye? Can I use fibre paper to line the shelf? Help, feeling very confused. Huh

Mary
Zeldazog
My name's Dawn, I'm an
Administrator

I'm free, to do what I want...♪♪♪

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 11:08:56 AM »

The Bullseye shelf paper can be used with anything - its nothing to do with compatibility in this case, it's just a brand.

You can use fibre paper, but it has a lot more texture than thinfire and I would think would work out considerably more expensive.  That said, you can often re-use it if you can get your item off it without disturbing the surface too much - I do find it sticks to the glass a little sometimes though.

silkworm
Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 09:22:19 AM »

Thank you Dawn, shelf paper it is then.

Mary

Mary
floozysooz
New Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 05:11:15 PM »

I use Thinfire very successfully with Spectrum glass and find it easy to use and actually quite economical. Have fun! :-D
Sue
silkworm
Forum Member

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 05:16:49 PM »

Thank you Sue, I have now sat down and worked out the cost and it really is not a lot - as my shelf is dinky!

Mary
flame n fuse
Forum Member

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 05:41:48 AM »

I find that thinfire gives a better finish than kiln wash for many things and I cut pieces to fit the size of the items that I am firing (about 1 cm bigger all round is fine) - you don't need to cover the whole shelf. Just be careful with the fibres when clearing up.
SueP
Forum Member

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 12:41:46 PM »

I use thin fire all the time and save all the offcuts for smaller projects - pm me your address and I will pop a few bits in the post for you to try if you like  Smiley

micpru
Forum Member

A very creative accountant!

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 02:55:23 PM »

Thin fire all the way x

Michaela x
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: