Oxycon Help Please

Started by Lush!, October 09, 2007, 02:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lush!

An unexpected knock at the door - and here's my oxycon!  Woohoo!

But ... there's no instructions so I thought I'd better check what goes where before I start fiddling with it.

Oh, and, er, slight problem - its got a two pin plug!  Can I get an adaptor?

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Mary

Lets get you going! Have you a spare 3-pin plug? Maybe on something you don't use much? I'd think it's best to put on a new plug rather than using an adapter, if you can.

Have you got a green screw-on nozzle, separate or already attached? And clear hose? Attach one end of the hose to the machine via the nozzle, the other end to the barbs on the torch, both ends tightened with o-clips or jubilee clips.
Make sure the torch valve is open when you switch it on (it's not good for the oxy-con to have the torch valve shut for any legth of time). Turn the dial till the floating ball is where you want it for LPM. I set mine about 4.5 so it's not running on max.

Is that clear as mud? Lol!

Richard

Make sure the thing runs off 240 volts!!! ;D :D

Lush!

Righty-o then.

Yes to a spare plug, well I'm sure my daughter won't notice that her George Formby grill's not working  ;), yes to the green nozzle and plastic hose, only seem to have one teeny jubilee clip though.

The 240 volt bit is a worry ... how do I check?  ::)

Lush!

Aha, on the back it says 220-240 volts.  So it is definitely okay to just change the plug, is it?

It won't be earthed I suppose, does that matter?

*rowanberry*

I gotta unpack my new oxycon, so I guess i will have to do the same myself :D

Then work out how I feed 2 oxycons into one torch to make it a nice'n'hot torch :D
Claire

Richard

Mary

Don't think mine are earthed either.

Probably best to use the clip on the torch end for now, the nozzle will probly be a tight enough fit to stay on and get you going, till you get another. Mine goes on tight enough not to leak, the clip just makes sure it doesn't come loose. If it does come off that end, all that will happen is that you lose your oxy supply to the torch, it's not like bottled oxy under pressure.

Mary

Claire, I got a Y connector (I think mine is a propane one?) off e-bay. You'll love it! The hot torch I mean, not the connector.  ;D

Something like this.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-3-WAY-Y-PROPANE-HOSE-CONNECTOR-BRASS-8mm-5-16_W0QQitemZ120167273097QQihZ002QQcategoryZ633QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Lush!

Uuuurrgghh!

The flippin plug is one of those moulded-on jobs.  Is it okay to just cut it off? 

Sorry to ask so many questions - I'm being a bit of a girl, aren't I?  :D :D

Richard

Just chop the thing off!!

When you trim off the outer covering of the cable make sure you do not cut in the cables underneath!

Have fun ;)

Bumpy Beads

Oooerrr.. she's gone a bit quiet....  :-\

Probably busy making beads...  ::)
Heather

My Etsy Shop

*rowanberry*

Quote from: Mary on October 09, 2007, 04:03:37 PM
Claire, I got a Y connector (I think mine is a propane one?) off e-bay. You'll love it! The hot torch I mean, not the connector.  ;D

Something like this.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-3-WAY-Y-PROPANE-HOSE-CONNECTOR-BRASS-8mm-5-16_W0QQitemZ120167273097QQihZ002QQcategoryZ633QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers Mary!!!!!!! I just got one :D I just need to find a good source of boro now and the money to buy it... but in the mean time with will be boro tubing playing i think :D and just a "ooooooooo isnt this hot" soft glass playing :D
Claire

Mary

there's a new UK seller on eBay doing boro, Cupcake. And Martin does the clear! I've got a bag of Mr Smiley's shorts  :o want some?

Lush!

Quote from: Bumpy Beads on October 09, 2007, 05:06:30 PM
Oooerrr.. she's gone a bit quiet....  :-\

Probably busy making beads...  ::)

Not quite - plug's done though, so I stood and admired my handywork for a bit, then nipped down to Focus for some essential hardware - and as always found myself overwhelmed by all those fascinatingly useful bits of metal and storage ideas...  

I feel a chippy tea coming on, no time for cooking  ;D

Mr Smiley's shorts?   :o