Boro sculpting with Paul Garofalo?

Started by Redhotsal, November 19, 2012, 09:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Garofalo

Hi there,
I'm Paul Garofalo and i have just become a member on Frit Happens. Its great that you have taken interest in a possible class that we might hold thanks to Sally who ive been speaking to.
I just wanted to give you more info on what kind of things i can show you. For instance joining your glass cleanly, destressing in the flame, joining separate bits to a piece without leaving stress marks and much much more. There are lots of simple tricks i have learned as a Boro Flameworker over the past 30 years which i will be glad to show or you can just pick my brains.
The question is what would you like to learn if we do the class. I have a massive range but i get so much pleasure out of producing the Disney characters. I do a miniature range of characters with clear and colour boro and i think learning these would be a fun lesson to start off with.
Please give me your feedback or if you have something in mind that you want to sculpt let me know.
If you have any questions i will be glad to answer.
Many thanks
Paul

Calico Cat

Hi, and welcome to Frit Happens  ;D

Speaking for myself, I love the idea of mini characters.

Carole

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .

Pat from Canvey

Welcome Paul. I don't mind what characters as it's the techniques I'm interested in so that I can go on to use them in whatever character takes my fancy at the time. I did a Homer Simpson head for one of my sons a few months ago.

garishglobes

I'd love to see cartoon style characters. Whenever I do sculptural stuff, it ends up on the organic/natural side of things and for me, it would be really good to see the cleaner lines and shapes and how they are joined and formed. Particularly in plain colour, which again I find myself avoiding - I'd like to be pushed into trying it!

spexy

Hi Paul,

I too would love to know how to make mini characters. I haven't worked with boro before but now have a setup that would allow me to. I have been torching for a year, would this be suitable for me?

Red Dragon

Most welcome to learn any new techniques in sculptural boro.

Bob

ruth

Hi Paul,

I have watched you work at Disney with fascination. It would be fantastic to try your class.

We are at Disney Paris in Febuary with the grandchildren, I will be making at least one visit to watch you work.

Ruth
sewnthings
Frittering the children's inheritance.

Rascal

Hi Paul, I'm nowhere talented enough to try this but wanted to say welcome to the forum and your work is fantastic, love those Disney characters. Karen

Paul Garofalo

Thankyou for welcoming me to your forum.
Thats good news that you all think the minis are a good idea. Its not just about learning the piece but all the techniques that go with it. I'm sure you will all enjoy trying them. They are simpler than the coloured characters in the photos but still quite tricky to make.
I will post photos of them soon and then you can ponder.
In answer to your question Spexy, you already have a year of working with glass so you must have some skill of manipulating. Personaly i think boro is alot easier to use and you have more control than soft glass. If you are interested in getting into boro sculpting then i dont see why this isnt for you. Even if the characters are too difficult for you, you will still learn valuable tips. I'm sure i can have you making something that resembles a Mickey if not better.
When were you at Disney Ruth? I hope when you are here next time , you will introduce yourself. Its always nice to meet a fellow flameworker and have a chat in English.
Thankyou for the compliment Karen.
Paul

Weston_glass_man

Not good enough but sounds great, maybe next time :)

spexy

Thanks Paul, I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Miriam

I would love to see your work too and learn a bit more about sculptural work with colored boro. Maybe you would be interested to teach at my studio in the Netherlands some day? Only problem is I only have concentrators to work on.
groetjes Miriam

Blog | Website | Colorcharts | Glasss

Paul Garofalo

Hi Miriam, Yes i would be interested in teaching at your studio.  Maybe you can message me your email address and we can discuss some details. Oxygen concentrators will not be a problem.

Paul Garofalo

Hello flameworkers,
My apologies for the delay in getting this post written.
I have spoken to Diane East about hosting a possible class at her studio for this class but nothing is available until the Autumn. I am however opening my workshop for private lessons in Blackpool from the end of April where I will have three workstations.
I am currently working at Disneyland Paris but will be returning back to England soon then I can put my full attention into organising everything.
Once I am organised I will post a full description of the class here on Frit Happens and will send a price list to anyone who is interested.
The classes will be affordable and for flameworkers  (who want to sculpt in Boro) at any level.
In the meantime here are photos of some of the items I will be using to teach.
Please let me know if this is of interest to you.
Thanks

Red Dragon

Great work Paul, will certainly be interested!  Are you going to Flame off at Silverstone?

Bob