Alternatives to metal coring

Started by anditsinthefish, November 18, 2012, 07:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anditsinthefish

Hi everyone, 

I have started to make my beads into necklaces and such, and I wanted to use silver chains instead. I was talking to a friend (a miss know it all tbh) and she said about beads can crack if put on chains without coring them! Is this true and what can I use/do as an alternative, if there is one?

Thanks,

Sarah x x
Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.

flowerjasper

They shouldnt crack if the have been annealled ,
I wear beads on a silver chain and they have been fine,
You can use glue in rivets, Tuffnell sell them as do Plamer metals they dont go right through but look good,
http://www.palmermetals.co.uk/shop/sterling-silver-findings/sterling-silver-bead-grommets-1.html
You could use silver beading chain, I have used it, thats good for beads with smaller holes.

sandy

Kaz

They won't crack if they're annealed - I often wear beads straight on a chain!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

♥♥Tan♥♥

Kaz is right, I have even worn them straight on a chain on a bracelet and never had a problem. Tell miss know it all she is talking out of her arse and get your beads out there missus ;) ;D

silkworm

What Tan said!
I wear my beads straight on to a chain and they have been fine.
Mary

anditsinthefish

Quote from: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on November 18, 2012, 08:22:04 PM
Kaz is right, I have even worn them straight on a chain on a bracelet and never had a problem. Tell miss know it all she is talking out of her arse and get your beads out there missus ;) ;D

HAHA thanks Tan, ooo lovely! thanks for the links :)

Sarah x
Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.

mizgeorge

Actually it's the other way round. Glass is much harder (anywhere from 5.5 up to nearly 9 on the mohs scale) than silver (at 3-4), so you've got more chance of wearing the chain out than cracking the glass!

ARBeads

I've heard this wives tale before. If you look at the well known manufactured beads with 'cores' the glass is that thin in relation to the diameter that the slightest jolt would (and does) break them. The cores there to hold them together......  ::)
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

Moira HFG

Ha! So basically this whole idea (hole idea? Sorry!) is put about as a marketing strategy!  ;D

Great responses; I really appreciate the voices of common sense and experience!

Moira

Emma @ Tuffnell Glass

I prefer to wear mine un cored and have never had a problem. The womans just making it uo as she goes along lol

Ant

What an interesting thread!  Looks like you can go for it whichever way you want to -  ;D

DragonArtGlass

I have to be honest, I had a customer wear one of my big hole beads (not cored) in her dreads for over a year. 
She told me she often flicked her hair about, and nearly took her partner's eye out on several occasions.  Said she'd bashed the car window and shower door too! She was so pleased thet she had more the next time I saw her.  (And there was me worrying if I'd been annealing them correctly ::))

anditsinthefish

So glad she was wrong :) I think I may look into in the furture... but I like my beads as they are at the moment :)
Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.