What happened to da wiki? Mod input???

Started by sparrow, November 01, 2008, 07:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparrow

I'd be happy to help as well, whichever way it'll get done :)
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Dickie

Quote from: TheJanie on November 08, 2008, 08:04:34 PM
Dickie, I can see your point.  To draw a comparison, though, I feel that if we'd told people that they had to post 25 times in the newbie section on FHF before joining in generally, we wouldn't have as dynamic, active and lively forum as we do....

To be fair I don't think it's quite the same, as the forum is something/somewhere where people can chat and ask questions, regardless of their expertise or knowledge.

Whereas the Wiki is for dissemination of accurate and relevant information.

Now I'm not saying that someone with less than 25 posts is not going to have valuable info for the Wiki, but I just feel that saying that Anyone can edit, is just going to give us more work keeping it in order.

I do understand the purpose of a Wiki, but there are a huge number of people who have to work full time trying to keep Wikipedia under control.

In theory we should open it upto anonymous edit as well...(like Wikipedia) but I just don't feel happy with that approach,

Anyway, all help gratefully received.
Dickie-Oh yes! Follow me on Twitter @DickieDooda

Dickie

BTW the 25 thing was only a figure plucked out of the air... It could be 5 or 50... to be honest there are more people with a post count < 25 than I thought.. there seem to be about 300 members with a post count less than 25
(Note: this does not include those who have NEVER posted)

And approx 150 members who have posted less than 5 times!!!

TheJanie

Quote from: Dickie on November 08, 2008, 08:50:01 PM
Now I'm not saying that someone with less than 25 posts is not going to have valuable info for the Wiki, but I just feel that saying that Anyone can edit, is just going to give us more work keeping it in order.

Yes, I can see that.  There's also the possibility that anyone who hasn't posted 25 times to FHF is very possibly a newbie and maybe wouldn't feel they could contribute (yet) to the wiki anyway...

I do understand the purpose of a Wiki, but there are a huge number of people who have to work full time trying to keep Wikipedia under control.

Wow!  Do you think we might get as popular as Wikipedia!?  ;D

That's a scary thought  :D

Anyway, all help gratefully received.

Anything to give something back to this fabulous FHF community - I have more time than glass expertise!  See?  I've posted way more than 25 times and *I* still don't think I'd have any glass info useful enough to put on the wiki!  ::)

Going back to my glass of Guinness now.... :)

Dragonfire Glass

I'll volunteer, but would need lessons in what to do!

Dickie

Without meaning to put anyone off, for those interested in having a go I suggest having a read though this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_edit

Don't worry you don't need to know all of it, but having a basic understanding of how a Wiki works and how to edit one is very useful.
Also as Wikipedia is editable by anyone you can also look at the "source code" for each page, just click on the "View Source" tab at the top of any page, to see "How it was done".

Dickie