Silver flakes - something happened

Started by jeannette, November 01, 2012, 09:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeannette

Sorry about the photo - but hopefully you can see at the front and the left side of the black piece the top layer has pulled back.
So I tried this with 3mm black base, pile of silver flakes and 3mm tekta cap (also tried 3mm top and bottom and same result but impossible to take a photo).  Both layers of glass were the same size.
This was fired on my normal full fuse schedule.
I was experimenting to see if the silver held up to the heat, which it does very well, but I don't know what happened with the top layer sort of shrinking, it's worse than a dichroic exposed edge, the glass seems to have gravitated to the centre....ant thoughts?

Untitled by Jeannette Copeland, on Flickr

qwirkyglass

ive had this problem before, i dont konw exactly why it happens but i guessed with mine it was something to do with the inclusions creating a barrier beween the two layers of glass and not allowing them to fuse around the edges, so the top layer then pulls back trying to apply its 6mm rule.
i was working with mica trapping it in the middle and the really interesting thing is that when i later broke my pieces to use the glass again, where the mica had been the black base and clear top had not fused at all.

All i can advise is try and make sure there is a clear boarder around the edges so it can fuse nicely, as this worked on my finished pieces.

sorry if this is a little wittery :)

Margram

I believe you need to make the top layer slightly bigger than the base layer, from what I can remember...
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

flame n fuse

I think that qwirkglass's analysis is probably correct - you have a lot of inclusions. Also, was air trapped?

Nicknack

Quote from: Margram on November 01, 2012, 09:57:46 PM
I believe you need to make the top layer slightly bigger than the base layer, from what I can remember...

I agree with this.  When I did a course at Warm Glass a year or so ago we were advised to do this, and my dichro pendants have been much better since.  The slightly larger (2 - 3 mm) top layer slumps down and covers the edge of the bottom layer.  Of course, if it's much larger, or you let it get too hot, you'll get a wider clear rim than you wanted.

Nick