Damming ... if thats what you call it!

Started by Melty, October 17, 2012, 01:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melty

I want to get some bracers to contain the glass as its being fused ... but they seem so expensive ... I was wondering if anyone had any bright ideas of ways I could make my own on the cheap ... ?
Bertie

jeannette

Hmm, they are quite pricey aren't they - never thought about it because I was given some with my kiln...
Um, so. Ebay or ask for second hand ones...
Or you need something kiln proof that you can use, which fits the bill - is it straight you want? box something in?
Maybe someone has a broken shelf???

Pat from Canvey

You can cut up an old kiln shelf with a tile saw to make dams. I've done this with success to make a glass brick.

Flyingcheesetoastie

I'm just about to dam my first glass and using fibre board cut into 1inch strips with ceramic fibre.

Melty

oh nice ideas ... I'll have a little think about that - the fusing board seems a nice cheap way - but do you need to put something there on each side to prop it so it doesn't collapse during the melt?
Bertie

Pat from Canvey

It's also best to prop up old kiln shelf pieces, just to be on the safe side. Another option, I have a builders supply place very near and got some terracotta flat pieces from them. Not sure what builders use them for or the proper name but kilnwashed, they work just as well. They were about 6 x 4 inhes and about half inch thick.

jeannette

Roof tiles maybe? Old fashioned ones that are like terracotta.
Maybe it's roof bits you have Pat?...

oliver90owner

There is a cement works just three miles down the road from me if I were to need any refactory offcuts.  ;D ;D  Just need a good saw to cut them, if I could not get a favour from the local stone cutting operation.

Flyingcheesetoastie

I've put pictures of my first dam setup on my Facebook page if anyone wants to see.

Melty

Gorgeous honeycombe luciousness! how did it turn out?
Bertie