Heat proof/resistant gloves

Started by MeadMoon, October 09, 2012, 01:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeadMoon

Having just melted my current pair of Kevlar gloves (oops!), I'm looking for recommendations for a pair of heat-resistant gloves and stockists.
I've already had a quick look at Warm Glass, Tempsford Stained Glass, Glass Studio Supplies etc., but they all seem to have the same sort of gloves as the pair that I already have (or rather, had).

Would rather have gloves than mittens and would like a fair amount of flexibility if possible.

Thanks in advance...
Elaine at Mead Moon  Facebook  Etsy

Lakelady

Have you tried scientific suppliers?  Like Fisher?  We used to have heat proof gloves for handling bottles of molten agar...not sure if they would be any good?
Turner Rowe Glass Art

qwirkyglass

it might help to know which gloves you had, to help recommending some :)

i think our hotshop ones come from glassworks services

jeannette

What do you want to do with them? I have some welding gloves for what I am doing...

MeadMoon

I had a fairly standard pair of Kevlar gloves - meant to be heat-resistant up to about 350C.  They're a sort of beige-coloured knitted fabric and I use them for putting items into and removing items from a hot kiln (800C or so).

They should be just to protect my hands rather than handle hot stuff, but I inadvertently picked up a hot kiln shelf and melted them.  Have just started enamelling, so am using them more.  For fused glass I let the kiln cool down before opening it so it's not an issue.

qwirkyglass

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Heavy-duty-Kevlar-Gloves-32cm-/180966951616?pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&hash=item2a22788ac0
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-OF-KEVLAR-GLOVES-IDEAL-FOR-HANDLING-HOT-GLAS-AND-TYRE-MANUFACTURING-/170919685502?pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&hash=item27cb9b6d7e

these look like the ones we use in the hotshop and are really good

http://www.kugler.co.uk/prod03.htm

this is where we get the uni ones from (we have a contract) but go for ebay, they are cheaper, but what ever you do, do not buy the gloves in the second pic in safety wear, they are stiff as and do not stop the heat! i know, stupid flaw or what. the ones above are good, they are bulky but with stand the heat for a long time and we are holding 600 degree ish glass

hope this helps and im not ranting :D

MeadMoon

Thank you qwirky, that was really useful and I've gone for one of the pairs on eBay.  They do look exactly like my previous pair, but I'll try to avoid picking up items when they're over 400C this time :)  I've also made a note of the Kugler URL for when I'm feeling a little richer.

qwirkyglass

its from the Glassworks services website, they are the uk kugler suppliers, but it is the worst website i have ever come across.

Hope your gloves work out, you can get away with alot with them, but when you sniff the tell tale burning kevlar smell then stop for a bit lol :D