First time to be slumper...... Do I need kiln wash for my long blue paragon kiln

Started by BanditBoo, October 03, 2012, 04:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanditBoo

Hi,

I want to have a go at slumping bottles, how do I do this? Kiln temp? And do I need to put kiln wash on the floor of the kiln before putting the bottle in?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Zeldazog

I dont' do bottle slumping but if you google, there's firing schedules out on the net.

You say long blue Paragon... so which kiln, is it one of the bead annealers, like the Bluebird? If so, I don't think that goes hot enough? Certainly not for fusing anyway.

If you do go for it, I'd suggest you slump onto a shelf, not on the kiln floor - kiln overshooting could leave you with a terrible mess.

BanditBoo

Thanks,

Yes it's the bluebird. Oh, I hoped I could slump!

I will have a look online

Thanks.

Zeldazog

I think the standard Bluebird only goes to annealing temperatures, if I recall correctly, the Bluebird XL can go higher....

qwirkyglass

hi, if you  do manage to find a cycle to slump you will need to go quite high, 850ish, it all depends on the kiln and the glass, but you must slump onto a shelf, the glass can eat away at the kiln floor and do nasty damage if something goes wrong

flame n fuse

BanditBoo

Thank you all!

Slumping is a no no currently, but thanks for helping me, you have stopped me ruining my kiln!