Torch

Started by oliver90owner, September 02, 2012, 08:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oliver90owner

Question, to which I have yet to find anything on the net, is why would a brazing torch nozzle, or even a cutting torch nozzle, be no good for making beads?

I have a few bits and pieces around the place which might all fit together (but have opted to buy a second hand Nortell Minor torch), so would appreciate the subtleties of the accepted lampwork burner over a simple welding/cutting nozzle, if indeed there is any benefit.

Any suggestions on an oxy-concentrator would be absorbed and considered also.  I understand I need a 4 or 5 litre/min unit to run the 'minor' torch.

Regards, RAB

Shirley

As I understand it the hothead was designed to pull more air through than a regular brazing torch. It will give a cleaner flame, and therefore cleaner beads, than a plumber's torch or suchlike.

Most people here who use oxycons probably got them from Tuffnell glass. I don't know where else you could source one in this country, unless you were looking to find one that had been used medically and doing it up yourself.

Either way, welcome to the forum and be prepared to get hooked!
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Krysia@No98

Hi Regulus Arcturus Black  ;)

We generally get out oxy cons from Tuffnell Glass or Off Mandrel.  These are reconditioned.  I think they have some that have a much higher capacity that are brand new but the price difference is quite considerable.  If you ring either of these shops both will be more then happy and have the correct technical knowledge to help you with you oxy con purchase.  As you are going for a minor the reconditioned one should be fine.

As for the other torches, my very limited understanding tells me that it is to do with the way that the oxygen and propane get mixed and it there for producing a much 'dirtier' flame which will give you soot marks on your glass.

(He he he cross post)
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

oliver90owner

Thanks, Shirley.  My brazing kit is either oxy-aceylene or oxy-propane.  I didn't even consider brazing with a propane-only torch, so not a hothead burner.  Welding/brazing nozzles range from far too big to much smaller than the Nortel (but they are single jet nozzles; the cutting nozzles have multi heating-jets (but the oxygen for cutting would clearly not be used)

The last time I was working with glassware was with a 'Mecca' burner - a bit hotter than a bunsen but much cooler than an oxy-acetylene cutting torch.

Regards, RAB

flame n fuse

well, you could just try what you already have and see how it goes ... we might have all fallen for the sales pitch

nete

Hi RAB
I use a cutting torch all the time and have had great some great results and its worth you using what you have while you are learning. Have tried several types of nozzles and some are better than others depending on the what you are doing. The important thing is to get the propane / oxy mix right otherwise you will get a lot of brown beads. Also keep the holes in the nozzles clean. Using bulk oxy is an expensive business though so when my boat comes in (and I'm not at the airport) I would like to treat myself to an oxycon. I'm also looking at trying the hot head on bulk propane to save on the oxy. The cutting torch does great for boro too. Hubbies a welder do it was the to go! Have fun. ;D
Nete

Hamilton Taylor

Premix torches tend to burn fuel-rich, and will reduce the metal oxides in the glass unless you really push the oxy content of the flame, resulting in a cool, noisy flame. Generally, not good for use with soft glass, although they have less of a detrimental effect on borosilicate.
Surface mix torches burn hotter and quieter, with a much cleaner burn, but tend towards the brushy flames rather than a  pinpoint, although this issue has been largely overcome with modern torch technology.

Sean

Redhotsal

Wot Sean said re the oxygen, it's the oxygen which will keep your glass colours true. If you haven't got enough oxo you'll get very sludgy and muddy colours. One thing I would say is that you see quite a few cheap oxygen concentrators on Ebay which come from China. They look too cheap to be true. They seem to be capable of the preferred 4-5l/min oxygen flowrate, but what they don't tell you is that you will have only 25% oxygen at this flow rate. You'll get a higher concentration of oxygen if you choose a lower flow rate, but you need around 95% purity for your minor. In conclusion, they're not good enough.

I will add that to my way of thinking an oxycon is a much more preferable choice over bottled Oxy. Having used both....The oxycon is essentially "free" once you've stumped up the initial cost (about £250), and is ultra convenient and less hazardous. I had awful trouble getting BOC to deliver W sized Oxy cylinders to a domestic address, it was expensive and a pain to store. If you weld anyway though - you may have oxy anyway, but you'll probably need a two stage reg and an oxy flashback arrestor in addition which is more money to have to find.

Want to get rid of any of your sock knitters, by the way? I do swaps.... :)

oliver90owner

Thanks to all, for those comments.  Both nozzles will be tried out although the Nortell Minor has arrived and the oxy-con will eventually likely be sourced from one of the well known suppliers mentioned.

All that needs to be accomplished now is completion of the garage roof replacement, clearing out the remains of the old one and installing some studding for the working patch.  No mean feat - will take me weeks at least...

K98  ;) no connection.  Those are my initials and, although not universal, initials were used extensively at my place of work a long, long time ago.

RAB

Krysia@No98

Quote from: oliver90owner on September 06, 2012, 09:23:42 AM
K98  ;) no connection.  Those are my initials and, although not universal, initials were used extensively at my place of work a long, long time ago.

RAB

;D  Sadly after spending nearly two years with those initials buzzing round my head as soon as I see or hear them it's immediately what springs to mind.   ::)  I can't imagine being called by my initials.  At my Dad's school they all got called by their last names, which with him having a very common second name must have been very confusing.
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-