Tuffnells ventilation...where should it go?

Started by Amber, April 16, 2013, 03:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amber

So I've got my ventilation...and now I'm trying to work out how to squeeze it into my little 5' x 7' shed  ???

Main problems - where can I put that huge hood? As you can see from the pictures, my bench isn't very deep and I'm not sure how I can fit the hood and the tubing on there.

Secondly, my torch is right in front of the window, so venting the tubing out the window probably defeats the point of having ventilation in the first place!

Could I fix the fan unit to the wall support (where the glass ball is hanging) and cut a hole in the wall so the tube is venting out that way?

Help!

Lynnybobs

Can't help with the question but just wanted to say that your shedio looks lovely !
Lynnybobs
----x----

helbels

The hood doesn't NEED to be behind the torch, it could be overhead.  Some people sort of hang them off the ceiling supported by bits of string/wire etc....

Kalorlo

Tricky! Ideally you want it venting out as far away from the door as possible - you could put a perspex inset with a cutout for the tubing in the window so the window is 'closed' again, but it'd still be venting right next to the door, which is your makeup air so the fumes would come straight back in again!

What you could do is use the inset, then have the tubing continuing outside so it's actually venting further away and not towards your door.

ETA: Sorry, that's if you still have the fan actually in the window. Yes, you can rig it up above instead of behind the torch if you can anchor it suitably. I think Martin sometimes has one attached to something like a retort stand?

Blue Box Studio

My shedio is 5 x 7 but I torch against the shorter back wall (no windows).  My hood, not a Tuffnell's one but not dissimilar, hangs above my torch and is tied to a metal shelf unit above and then vents out of a hole in the back wall.  I was going to set up the torch opposite the side window but I got a lot of glare and would have needed a blind so I could see the flame - which didn't seem too safe.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Katie

Hello!
I have shed envy!

Could the hose come towards where you are standing and vent out that way? Then it is away from the door and window.

I know someone who put a cat flap as their hose 'hole' at the top of a wall.  Looked very funny but when they weren't working they pulled the hose back in and the cat flap shut to seal the hole!

:D

Amber

Thanks for your input, everyone!

They are not the best pictures, I'm actually standing in the doorway - what you can see opposite is another (non opening) window in the side of the shed. It's a potting shed, which means the 'bench' is fixed in place, which is why I work in front of the window - but I've done that in most of my workshops anyway, so I guess I'm used to it  :-\

I'm especially liking the cat flap idea though, makes a lot of sense!

Glyn Burton

Just something to think about. I positioned the hood of my system about 400mm above the torch with a 90 deg bend and a 200mm length of straight pipe to the fan. The fan melted. I bought a new fan and increased the distance between the hood and the fan which so far seems ok. I had been using the torch (a nortel mid range) flat out all day and just didn't think that the fan was made of a thermoplastic and would soften.
So the moral of the story is don't put the fan too close to the hood, Martins kit comes with plenty of  flexible hose so it would be very easy to put things where ever suits you best.

tinker

Am sure someone will tell me its wrong lol but I just couldnt get on with that massive old thing and ended up buying a smaller one off eBay - more like the size you get with the pro grow system. Will find the linky if you are interested.