Buying a fibre blanket - where from?

Started by Carrie-Jane, October 01, 2007, 10:04:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carrie-Jane

Thanks to all.

My starter Kit and also a Fibre Blanket are on their way by courier as we type.
Can't wait to get started.

Didn't make it to Argos for a chair, I braved Sainsburys with a 2 year old. She only screamed once and threw one paddy so not too bad a trip. At least we can eat tonight. ;D
She is out with Grandparents tomorrow morning, so hopefully kit will arrive and I can go get that chair.

I will definately let you all know when the first bead appears!

Carrie.

mariag

Bet you can't wait now Carrie-Jane :D

Sophie, a lot of frit is 96 coe & so only a tiny amount is recommended with 104 coe glass, I think about 5-10% of the bead area. I'm sure that someone more knowledgeable will be able to tell you more.
I think that mine cracked because a) I used too much & b) I swirled it in the glass a little too much.

Mary

Sophie, are you making sure that the point of your mandrel isn't touching the tin? The metal will conduct the heat away from the bead. Make sure the bead is totally surrounded by vermiculite.
Or perhaps you are letting the beads get too cool before putting them away? Try gently warming them through in the back of the flame before burying them.

sophie_r

Quote from: Mary on October 01, 2007, 06:05:11 PM
Sophie, are you making sure that the point of your mandrel isn't touching the tin? The metal will conduct the heat away from the bead. Make sure the bead is totally surrounded by vermiculite.
Or perhaps you are letting the beads get too cool before putting them away? Try gently warming them through in the back of the flame before burying them.

Ahhhh did wonder that.... have changed my chippings for fresh spongy ones and upped the level so I can stick them in without touching the tin.....

Quote from: mariag on October 01, 2007, 06:02:49 PM
I think that mine cracked because a) I used too much & b) I swirled it in the glass a little too much.

I've been swirling too.  And heavy handed with it.  I must learn to restrain myself but for now it's the only technique I really feel I have produced anything "worthy" with.....

Quote from: Carrie-Jane on October 01, 2007, 05:56:05 PM
Didn't make it to Argos for a chair, I braved Sainsburys with a 2 year old. She only screamed once and threw one paddy so not too bad a trip. At least we can eat tonight. ;D
She is out with Grandparents tomorrow morning, so hopefully kit will arrive and I can go get that chair.

I stood up at first (was so chicken about the flame, I wanted to be able to back-off quickly lol!!!) was only after trying to make beads with mandrel at arms length and me stood up I realised that was NOT going to create any masterpieces....! So I have progressed to sitting on an old stool.  And on the "wish list" is one on those creation arm rest doo-dahs.  What sort of chair are you going to get?

Carrie-Jane

QuoteWhat sort of chair are you going to get?

Going to get one of these:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6179959/Trail/searchtext%3EOFFICE+CHAIR.htm

Really splashing out as you can see.
I figured it is height adjustable and I can always stick an old cushion on it for extra padding.
Plus it has wheels so I could make a hasty departure if needed! :o
Carrie.

mariag

That's a bit of a bargain.
I use an old wooden kitchen chair at the moment, but you've made me think now + I'm tempted to get one for my son's desk :D

Carrie-Jane

I am pretty sure the padding on the seat is going to be very thin, however it is better than my current office computer chair as you have to spin the seat round to get it to go up or down, so I may do a swap and put the old one in the garage. ;D

If you go to the Argos site and do a search for "Office Chair" they also have a nice white wood one for £14.99 and a pink office chair with flower on for £19.99! Quite fancy that pink one now.

Carrie.

mariag

Well I've just reserved 2 seats at Waterlooville store. I only work for 3 hours tomorrow so I'll be able to get them at midday. My son liked the look of it but I warned him no spinning  ::) (he's 11).

Carrie-Jane

I am in Whiteley, Near Fareham, but there's none in Titchfield or Fareham, so its Gosport or Southampton or over to your way at Waterlooville then!
Carrie.

mariag

Wow, I'm surprised that Titchfield hasn't got any. That's the store that I used to use the most until the Waterlooville one opened.

Carrie-Jane

Well I have changed plan and gone for the Padded Pink Folding chair at £7.97
it is going in our bedroom at my dressing table where I have a grey version of the blue office chair (yes looks yuck in a bedroom!). The grey office chair can go out to the garage.  Then I get a pink girly chair to do my hair sitting in.  ;D

I have found that Titchfield always seems to sell out of things first.  :(

I am off to sleep, Small 2 year old has worn me out today.
Carrie.

mariag

Carrie-Jane did you get your "girly chair"? I got my 2 chairs this afternoon & they are now made up. My son is very happy & mine is now out in the shed awaiting its first beading session :D
I have to say that for a budget chair it isn't bad....more comfy than I thought!!

Shame about Titchfield selling out of things they always used to be good at keeping stocked up. I usually find that Havant store is good for finding things. I've got quite a few bargains/end of lines that you can't find at any other store.

More importantly has your parcel arrived?

Carrie-Jane

Starter kit arrived about lunch time yesterday, so I just had time to unpack it before my parents brought my daughter back for her after lunch nap. (they take her out to feed ducks and down the beach on Tuesday mornings). So the afternoon was therefore busy with her (also back teeth are coming through  :o)!.  So I didn't get my new chair yet. I am glad you are pleased with yours though.

I am also suffering a bit at the moment as I seem to have pulled a muscle in my back whilst at funcity fareham with my daughter (she is 2). She would not go on anything until I tried it out first! I feel like an ironing board is glued to my back.

On the bead front, desk is in place in the garage. DH has spoken to his pal round the corner who has done a plasterboarding and plastering course and I might be having the wall in front of me batterned out insulated and plasterboarded. His mate hasn't done any plastering for 2 years though but I will be more than happy with nice plasterboard wall to look at. Also we need to run an extension for electric so I can run a desk lamp and radio. On Sunday when he said he was sweeping out the garage, I heard hammering and sawing. I have learnt that it is best to leave a red haired husband to it when doing DIY and NOT pop my head in and offer help or say "hows it going". I wait for him to appear. Bless him he had loft boarded the part of the garage above my desk so it would "feel nicer" and help stop me thinking about spiders dropping on my head.  ;D  he has also drawn up great plans for a stud wall down the middle of the double garage to divide it in 2.

I am just waiting for Ibruprofen to kick in and loosen back up, then I will pop out to the garage and take torch head out and clamp the joist hanger to the desk.

The glass rods that arrived look lovely but are very long! In the leaflet it says score with a 3 sided metal file and snap away from you. I am extremely nervous about doing this. Any advice on shortening rods appreciated. I see in the studio photos on this side that peoples rod storage does not look as long as my rods.

Carrie
Carrie.

Sal

You'll love it once you get going! I got my starter kit a couple of weeks ago now and it's great fun. Don't worry about the length of rods-give it a go with them that long-you'll probably get used to them pretty quickly (I know I did). They seem huge to start with but once you've got the balance right in your hand they're fine-also you don't waste as much glass as you do with shorter lengths ;D
Have fun and show us your beads!
Sal

mariag

Sorry to hear about your back Carrie, hope it improves quickly.....that's why I don't do Playzone, I'm so accident prone that I'd probably end up at QA A&E :D

Most of my rods are 33cm long but I have got some longer ones from Martin & haven't cut them down before using them. As Sal says you soon get used to the feel of them.

What a lovely hubby you've got sorting out your workspace. My Hubby was great & sorted out mine in the shed & has since made my glass storage as well :)
I try not to think about spiders though.....the other week a really huge one (I'm not exaggerating!!) found its way into my jar of water  :o- I did rescue it though as I hate killing them  ::)

Hope you get a chance to have a play soon :)