Kiln wash on the left on glass

Started by jeannette, August 17, 2012, 07:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeannette

Hi -

I normally use thinfire paper, but decided to go straight on the shelf to slump a couple of bottles. The shelf has been kiln washed because I thought it was best in case I had any escapees. I tried slumping direct on the shelf before and it was fine, but this time i got a lot of residue left on the glass that won't come off with scrubbing.
Do you know why? Is it ready for some more wash on it? and also do you know how I can get this off the glass now?
Thanks
J

qwirkyglass

Hi, it was a good idea to use bat wash rather than thin fire, as we are tought that the thinfire will disintegrate before the glass slumps properly, particularly if it is bottle glass. however, residue will be left on the glass if you over batwash, are you using bullseye primer?
for your next fireing clean the shelf completely with scrubbing brush and water, do not do it dry as batwash has nasty chemicals in, and leave the shelf to airdry over night, then reapply your batwash, if using bullseye primer, make sure your mix is thin, it should almost be like water and with a very wide soft brush use long even strokes first horizontally, then virtically, then each diaginal allowing each direction to dry before starting the next layer. then stop. you could add one more layer, but the more you add the more dry powder will be loose. the only way you will get the residue off your glass in myu experience is sandblasting or attck with diamond pad. and next time i would recommend taking it to a lower temp and holding for longer, you should get a better slump this way, and if your unsure you can always open your kiln with goggles n gloves on at top temp and see whats happening and adjust schedule to suit, this might be best with bottle glass.
sorry to ramble, hope this makes sense and helps :)

flame n fuse

Hi,
Can't tell much without a photo and more information and qwirkyglass has covered it all, but if you think your kilnwash was OK, I would expect that it could have been your temperature was too high.

Zeldazog

Sometimes the shelf looks okay for another firing, but then after a full fuse some of it comes away (and that's using Bullseye, which of course fuses lower than bottle glass).

But no need to sandblast or diapad - get some Cillit Bang, the orange one (lime and grime?) - soak the bottle in water first, then spray it with a good coating of Cillit (in a ventilated area if you can, it really gets to my throat and eyes!) - leave for around 15 to 30 minutes, then use a green scrubber - really stubborn might take a bit longer or a couple of goes, but I've found this usually works.

jeannette

Thanks Dawn, I think that's it. On closer look at the shelf there is a line that's right through to the shelf and the line of kiln wash is on the glass. I'll try take a photo when the sun comes round this side the house, but I'll also try cillit bang, need some goodies from the supermarket anyway.

I know what you mean ref the fire paper, but honestly it's a much better finish. So I do kiln wash the shelf just in case, and i normally slump bottles directly on the shelf. I like my smooth bottom it gives me  ;D ;D ;D

Zeldazog

I go in fits and starts with shelf wash and thinfire - sometimes I can't be bothered with all the faffing around cleaning and re-applying, but every time I lay a sheet of thin-fire I take a sharp intake of breath regarding the comparitve price!  One day I will work out how long it takes me to clean and re-apply, see if I can reduce that difference  ;) ;)

Mind you, I have the LARGEST container of hi fire shelf primer to start, that should keep me going a while....

Zeldazog

jeannette

Oh I just found that in the cupboard (him indoors has this one for motorbike cleaning parts) - here is the before!...now waiting 25 minutes...

Amaretto Platter by Jeannette Copeland, on Flickr

Melty

Did that work well? I find cooking oil, just a small amount rubbed in really helps to lift off stubborn kiln wash.
Bertie

jeannette

Not really, best solution to this problem is avoid it. It was not kiln wash in the end, it was shelf where the kiln wash was sparse. I no longer have "I'll just do one more firing" moments :)

Zeldazog

Quote from: Melty on December 02, 2012, 07:22:25 AM
Did that work well? I find cooking oil, just a small amount rubbed in really helps to lift off stubborn kiln wash.

Oooh, I've not tried that - must give it a go, it would be far preferable to Cillit Bang which stings if I get it in a cut (Which I always have!), and I hate the feeling of it 'in the air' - oil woudl be FAR more user friendly!

Zeldazog

Quote from: jeannette on December 02, 2012, 08:59:34 AM
I no longer have "I'll just do one more firing" moments :)

We all have them Jeanette  ;)

Melty

Bertie