Where does the silver inclusion go?

Started by MeadMoon, August 03, 2012, 11:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeadMoon

I'm really hooked on fusing now and am getting much better at the techniques, but every time I try to include silver leaf as an inclusion it either disappears entirely or just leaves a very faint brown stain.  I've tried both single and double thickness.  What am I doing wrong?  Any hints?

The last attempt was yesterday with some 7.5x7.5cm Tekta pieces, stacked with rippled sides together at 90degree orientation to each other with 5x5cm pieces of silver leaf (bought from a reputable supplier so I know they are real silver) included and there's absolutely no trace at all of the silver after firing.

This is so frustrating!
Elaine at Mead Moon  Facebook  Etsy

Pat from Canvey

Try using copper instead. It doesn't "melt" into the glass. You can't see individual bits of silver in silver glass rods, can you. You can cut the copper into different shapes using paper punches from Hobbycraft.

Sandera

I found this happens as well. I think you have to have even more layers for it to work although when I fused single layers of silver between clear and dark blue the silver turned out to look more like gold - so seemingly a chemical reaction took place.

Avril

Hi - I read that it was something to do with the lead in the glass soI bought non-lead glass and it didn't work with that either!!  I gave up trying.
Have you looked at Warm Glass - in their paints and decals section - under mica power - they do silver flakes and gold flakes.  I this fused into glass and it does work and gives a lovely effect.....it's not leaf but it's a lot cheaper.

MeadMoon

Thank you for the replies.

Pat, I already use copper as well, but wanted a specific effect.

Sandera,  It is that slightly silvery-gold tinge that I was aiming for.

I buy from Warm Glass already so will try Avril's suggestion of silver flakes.  Thank you Avril!

Now what to do with several sheets of silver foil??  :)

noora

You could try fusing at a lower temperature (tack fuse) and see if that helps. I've used silver foil in tack fuse and it worked fine. It didn't go silvery/gold though, it looks simply like a piece of silver foil in between the layers of glass. The foil was quite thick, something like tin foil.

Redhotsal

Substitute the silver for Palladium. It won't go brown and it'll stay. It's practically indestructible and doesn't react to any of the colours. It sounds as if your silver is just vapourising - you could try a lower temperature.

MeadMoon

Thank you Noora and Sal.  I hadn't even considered the fusing temperature! That sounds extremely likely.  I'll get a chance to have a play tomorrow.