coasters

Started by Peego, July 30, 2012, 03:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peego

Hi
Having done some pendant fusing I am now moving onto coasters! I have just a few questions if anyone can help me please....
1. I am using glassline papers and copper foil inclusions, do I need to glue these in place and do I need to glue the top piece of glass to the bottom one?
2. I have got some tekta clear glass for the coasters and one side has a bit of a ripple effect, does this need to go inside the coaster or on top/base?
3. Do I do a full fuse firing for coasters or will a tack firing do?

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Pam

I am by no need an expert but here are my thoughts.
No need to glue inclusions unless you are stacking and they are unstable, for papers, foil etc this should not ne a problem.
Slight ripples will become smooth once ful fused. If you wish to retail the ripple effect you would fuse at a lower temp and tack fuse.
For coasters you will generally need a full fuse if you want a smooth finish, there are exceptions eg, when you have a raised design or require a specific effect but if you are sandwiching inclusions I would say use a full fuse.
Hope this helps. I know there a few great people who fuse on here so I am sure they will come back to you with some more help.

Peego

Thank you, great advice.

Pat from Canvey

Watch out for trapping air between the glass if one side has ripples.

flame n fuse

if your inclusions might trap air in the 'sandwich', run some transparent stringer out from the inclusions to the edges of the coasters to help the air get out - otherwise the edges sometimes slump down before the middle.

MeadMoon

I sometimes like to fuse Tekta with the rippled sides together and oriented at 90degrees to each other to give an interesting pattern of bubbles.  It depends on what effect you want.

I've not had problems with glassline paper moving when used as an inclusion, but do tend to glue smaller pieces of copper foil since mine sometimes have a tendency to wander a bit.  There's no need to glue the top piece of glass to the bottom piece unless, as Pam says, they are unstable (or your hands are likely to shake when placing the completed ensemble in the kiln!).
Elaine at Mead Moon  Facebook  Etsy

Peego

Much appreaciated, thank you everybody will bear all this in mind when firing later today.