When can i open the kiln?

Started by jeannette, July 04, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeannette

My kiln is at 45 degrees (celcius) - can I open it?? What temp is safe?

Blue Box Studio

I often open mine when it is just under 100, just to peek - I've not got insulated fingers.  I would think the beads would still be warm so probably wouldn't plunge inot cold water to soak off the mandrels, but for a look see can't think there would be a problem.  Or have I just been lucky?
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Glyn Burton

As a rough rule of thumb If you can touch it it can come out of the kiln. 45 deg is ok just don't put them in cold water. If you are pushed for time you could remove them at any temperature below 150 just wrap the beads in newspaper (like fish and chips) and let them cool in there.

Les

I usually wait till it's at about 50,then switch off and see how touch hot they still feel ... then usually just go and drink a cuppa before taking them out :)

SilverGems89

Can't say for beads since i haven't put any in my kiln yet  :o But as far as fused pieces go i would leave them for as long as possible, my kiln shelf stays hot for a long time after the kiln temp has dropped and i would be worried the rush of cold air across the top of the piece that has a hot shelf still underneath might cause thermal cracking. I haven't had this problem yet, the one fuse cycle i have done was still at ~400 c when i got up for work so it was left to cool down on its own all day until i got home, by which time everything was cold  ;D
HTH

jeannette

OK, it's coasters in there - ill leave it...must put pieces in earlier!!!
Thanks peeps.

SilverGems89

hehehe thats why i fire overnight, i'm too busy sleeping to be hovering over it all night and then i am at work while it cools so i'm not twitching to open it and look!  :D

Blue Box Studio

Me knows nuffink about fusing.  In that case, I'd probably turn the kiln off and go back and have a look tomorrow - would give me something to look forward to whilst stuck in a meeting all day (yes, I have a meeting about a meeting all day tomorrow, that's quangos for you).
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

jeannette

I did - i think it went on @ about 9.45...but for a full fuse. I guess it's big so AFAP is still quite long on the cool down...plus I am early home from work today  - dinner before 8! What a wife I am :D

SilverGems89

mine went on about half an hour ago  ;D It will finish at about 6am tomorrow and then cool down naturally from ~370c, after watching it for a while this morning i think it cools at around 150c an hour so i would probably be able to open it around midday if i was home, but i don't get in until 5pm so it's well and truly cold by then!

jeannette

Its 41 now....gutted :D Still, I think it's an important skill....patience.

Nicknack

When I'm fusing I always try to be there for the hottest 5 mins or so, just to make sure it doesn't go too far.  I wouldn't dare just leave it all night.  Once it's started cooling down, then I leave it to get on with it.

Nick

SilverGems89

If i did that i would never be able to run anything, i am at work 42 hours a week and away from home every other weekend

jeannette

36 - couldn't wait...darn the consequences....
Fortified by wine.
Not what I expected at all! Pfft - must read the labels on glass more carefully

Sarah A

They should be fine to come out at that temp. Hope you are pleased with them.