inclusions

Started by Peego, July 01, 2012, 08:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peego

Hi
Have only been fusing for 3 weeks now and am slowly building up my supply. Am very interested in inclusions for making coasters and I have a coaster at home that I bought on hol in Cornwall. Can anyone tell me what is inside it? It is a paper heart and it does also have a bit of a leathery look to it and is the same colour on both sides. I thought maybe it was glassline paper and so ordered some of this only to find that this is indeed painted thinfire paper. I used this but didn't get the same effect. The glassline paper crinkled and shrank where as the paper heart in the bought coaster remains perfect. So any help on identifying this type of paper and where I can buy it from will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much, hope you are all enjoying the football!

SilverGems89

I'm no expert so can't make a suggestion from your description, a picture might help narrow it down though!

Peego

Hi
this is the link to the woman whose coaster I have. hope this helps.

http://www.jodowns.bigcartel.com/

thanks

Sarah A

Could it be a metal inclusion, maybe copper?  Maybe you could put a picture of the coaster on here?

micpru

Copper can go read in the kiln and brass is good to.  Different kilns will produce different effects so best to try then out.  You will need to sandwich the metal in 2 layers of glass.
Michaela x

SilverGems89

looking at her other wok i'd say its most likely copper

Blue Box Studio

I think it's copper foil.  Not that I know how to do it but had a conversation with someone about in one of her shops. 
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Peego

Thanks everyone, will get some copper and give it a go.

Redhotsal

It IS copper - they use it a lot in Jo Down's stuff. You can get it to stay red or go a black/blue colour depending on the firing conditions.

flame n fuse

you can sandwich real leaves - they go to a skeleton (though I got rather large air bubbles as well).

Zeldazog

I've not used Glassline papers either (got some, never played yet) and there are some with a lot more texture than others, the crinkles.

flame n fuse

one of the tricks with inclusions in fusing is laying them down in a way which allows air bubbles to escape rather than getting trapped. Part of this is to do with orientation of the inclusions and their proximity to edges, also allowing enough time for air to escape in the programming - long slow ramps up, but also laying down some stringers in a colour which will be invisible in the final piece, from the inclusion to the edges can help.
Hope this makes sense!

MeadMoon

Thank you, flame n fuse, for the stringer tip.  I've tried leaves and had unsightly bubbles, and will try next with stringers.  My copper & aluminium inclusions work out ok, but every time I use silver it almost disappears after being fired.  I've even tried doubling a sheet, but it's not much better.  Any tips for silver?
Elaine at Mead Moon  Facebook  Etsy