Best tool for holding off mandrel work

Started by Fiona, June 30, 2012, 07:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fiona

This question is to anyone who makes off mandrel sculptural work.  I just wondered what tool you all use to hold the item at the end to flame polish the last bit of it and put it in the kiln.  I've tried tweezers and find them hard to hold steady enough to finish off the last bit and put it in the kiln without burning myself or dropping the item.  I also worry about it cooling the bit it's holding too much.  Do you use the hot fingers (and if so which one) or something else?

theknittinggoddess

I've been using the reverse tweezers that came in my silversmithing kit - the ones you squeeze to open and which automatically shut. I also made a pair of tweezers for holding marbles ( instructions on the drew Frits website)

I didn't get on with my hot fingers at all ( small ones from tuffnells) so shout up if you'd like them.

Fiona

theknittinggoddess

I'd like them to be one less thing cluttering up my work surface.

Let me have your address and I will post them on Monday.

Fiona

Thank you that's very generous I'll pm you now.

Pat from Canvey

I sometimes use hemostats, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemostat      warmed before holding the piece. At other times I use a stringer to pop the piece in the kiln. After annealing and cool, the stringer is melted off whilst holding the sculpture in my hand. Obviously the stringer must be on a piece that is as thick or thinner than a normal rod of glass. Trial and error really. I bought the hemostat from a boot sale stall after seeing them used elsewhere for glass.

♥♥Tan♥♥

Wooden pegs are really handy for holding sculpture, keep them soaking in a thingy of water and just pluck them out when you need them.

Redhotsal

I always end up cremating wooden pegs, but then - I've never soaked them. That's probably where I'm going wrong!  ;D

Fiona

garishglobes

Sponge forceps! Similar to hemostats and I use them all the time.

Margram

Rest it on a marble mould or other graphite mould?
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

ScarletLeonard

I bought a pair of bamboo tweezers from Manda (working on the peg theory but the tweezers having more opening to them) I nearly cremated them so the soaking tip is a good one, thanks Tan.

Mostly what I have been doing have all had loops nipped in them so they are a little easier to work with because you can grip in the loop with tweezers and get that last punty off.

Though recently I have been working on things I require to have flat bottoms so I have been leaving the punty on like Pat mentioned then nipping off and grinding the bottom perfect after annealing (since it was going to have to be done anyway, no point creating extra work for myself by trying to shape the bottom.)

I have some hotfingers for marbles with the round loops on them, not got round to trying them yet though because I haven't made anything large enough.

Donna@Rockin' Beads

Beansprout

I did glass blowing for 3 years and I would advocate the use of a soaked peg! We always had buckets full of water and wooden tools, I loved 'em!