Chilli Pepper versus SC2

Started by Lush!, September 25, 2007, 11:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lush!

Hi folks.

I'd really like to get some opinions if poss?

I've been looking round at kilns and am currently considering the JenKen Chilli Pepper and the SC2.  I know lots and lots of people use the SC2 but if I've got it right, the Chilli Pepper has not been available to the UK market for a while?  

For me, the simple advantages of the Chilli Pepper are that it works out to around £100 cheaper, and I think the chamber is about twice the size of the SC2.

So my question really is, if you had a choice, would you have chosen the Chilli Pepper over the SC2 (or SC3) and why?

:)

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Mary

I've not studied the Jen Ken, but I believe it's just an annealer? If so, it's likely that it won't go much above annealing temps. THe SC2 will do fusing and slumping (as in bending beads) as well as annealing.
The other point is the construction. I think I remember the Jen Ken is blanket lined? That wouldn't wear as well as the rigid SC2 construction, and loses heat quicker. But the bigger chamber is a benefit. Swings and roundabouts!

Billie

If it's a bead capacity thig, Paragon do the Bluebird... Is it purely annealing you'll be doing or other stuff in future..?

Lush!

Aha, I knew I hadn't thought of something!   ::)

At the moment its only bead annealing but I'm sure I'll want to try my hand at slumping or fusing one day. 

So the Chilli Pepper can't do these other things?  And it does look rather flimsy ...

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Billie

Some people swear by the JenKen, others the SC2, SC3 et al.  Personally, I love my Caldera and I bought it with future use such as fusing, slumping and PMC in mind.  Kilns are expensive so if you're wanting to have a go with other glass projects in future it's better getting a kiln now that will allow you to do those things.

Robin

hi

the paragon sc2b, and the bluebird are described on www.electrickilns.co.uk

the sc2 is a multipurpose kiln, heating to 1095. the bluebird is an annealing kiln, and heats to 650 only - although it has two wide bead doors. the paragon xpress e14ab is much larger than the sc2b, so more expensive.

rob

www.paragonkilns.co.uk