I'm rubbish at triangle beads

Started by Trudi, June 23, 2012, 10:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trudi

you know the ones that are in passing the flame ....... I leave it for a few months and try again, but I can never get the triagles pointing nice and crisp ... they're all over the place. What's the secret that I'm missing???????????

Redhotsal

Make a cone and squash it and keep using your marver to flatten off the sides? That's how I do them.

Show us a picture and I can help you out more. I suspect that the ones you're seeing all over the place are made using a press?

JKC

Do you mean the triangle ones that are like discs?  If so Corinna has some pictures on her web page.  Janet

Trudi

Ok .. here's a picture of my feeble attempt ...

Kaz

I can't do those either Trudi - I just water annealed 2 like that this morning!!! Even after a 2 day course with Carlee my stripy beads are only just passable!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Trudi

I'm glad it's not just me (not that I'm glad you can't either Kaz) .. but a part of me feels like I should be able to.

Redhotsal

Oh those! I thought you meant triangle shaped beads! Try making a disc shape for the core and put the dots on each edge in a zigzag. Then put a big ring of clear all round in the middle and melt slowly. As the disc condenses down into a donut it should pull the dots into triangles. Hope that helps.

Madam Steph

Thanks, Sal.

I can't make 'em either

L x

Trudi

Shirley

I find you have to get the dots very evenly placed and all the same size. Some colours seem to bleed as well. Actually, I'm rubbish at them too. Give me stringer work, silver glass or encased flowers anyday!
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Kaz

She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

julieHB

I have found the trick is to get the first wrap of clear right.  I pull a thickish stringer of clear (you can use a commercial stringer, but that clear is never as good in quality), then go from the centre of one dot to the next in a zig-zag pattern (work cold and slow). After that it is easy to add more clear to the existing clear with a normal rod of glass, and it melts down beautifully, stretching the dots evenly.
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr