Advice please re a Transparent RED 104 coe ?

Started by Mand, September 12, 2012, 09:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mand

HI

Sorry I haven't been around much. I pop in from time to time, but have very little free time these days! ::) 

The title says it all really.  ;) I've been looking at Cim Maraschino and Effetre trans red striker.  Any thoughts or tips on which you prefer and the easiest to work with would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

The Tartan Trout

I love maraschino :) Not the cheapest option but it's a lovely shade. I use Effetre Red for my kiddies stuff :)

Trudi

Thing is with reds if you work them too long they do tend to go opaque. I really like sangre encased. Try not to work too hot, and have a touch more oxygen in the flame.

Not sure about the reichenbach's though  - they do look nice.

Kalorlo

It depends how transparent you need it. Maraschino is very like Lauscha transparent red: neither of them look truly transparent when used as the body of a bead, but they're quite easy.

Sangre and Effetre striking red will stay transparent if you work them lightly and not for too long.

Mand

Hmmm, I tend to slightly overwork my reds.  I have  a tendency to burn them and 50% of the time they come out dark grey  ::)

SilverGems89

Another vote here for Maraschino, it's delish! Really nice juicy red, well behaved, but not totally "transparent" if you use it in large quantities  :)

james M knox

I tend to use the trans red over clear - this will then ensure that the red does not get so dense that you cannot see through it. Also helps that you can use the more expensive red glass and not have to use hods of it.

JMKnox