Commercial Wine & Other Bottles -What are they made From?

Started by Barnacle Bay, June 06, 2012, 03:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barnacle Bay

Only me - again

I have been wondering what Commercial Wine & Other Bottles are made from -   yep it sounds a silly question & I know they are made from glass (beat some of you to that one  :D )

But I would love to know exactly what type of glass, e.g COE rating ???

Any ideas, anyone.

Thanks once again in advance.

Louise

Soozintheshed

It is around the boro mark, 33 ish.... you can get them tested at Plowden & Thompson I believe.
Sooz     '(0,0)'

www.thebeadshed.co.uk
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Bead-Shed

Barnacle Bay

Thanks Soozintheshed - I thought it was going to be the hard stuff  :D

Kalorlo

The things I've read have put them in the 80s - you can melt them on a hothead with patience, so I don't think they tend to be that close to boro  ???

But... if you want to make beads from them, only use glass from the same bottle in a bead, because there's no guarantee of compatibility, even between ones that are branded the same!

Pat from Canvey

If you smash up the bottle you can pre- heat pieces in the kiln making it easier to melt on the torch.

Soozintheshed

Sooz     '(0,0)'

www.thebeadshed.co.uk

ScarletLeonard

Anything on a hot head requires patience

Though if you are desperate to put 2 bottles together there is a test you can do.
Melt the ends of the 2 chunks of glass, push them together then pull into a stringer. if they are incompatible they will pop apart after a short amount of time. If they remain intact for 24 hours you probably have a good chance of them working together. Maybe crush some of one bottle into frit and observe the 5% rule.
Though it is far easier to just never mix bottles.
Certainly no bottle will work with the 104, nor the 90 and 96 rods.

Kalorlo

Quote from: Soozintheshed on June 06, 2012, 04:01:31 PM
You can melt boro on a hot head with patience too ;)

Yeeesss... Ok, let me rephrase: you can make bottle beads on a hothead without requiring inhuman amounts of patience  ;D Did anyone ever do the boro thing more than once?  :D

Apparently Bullseye used to use recycled glass a very long time ago as a base - not anymore. Some thingies here: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-84743.html

It could be that we have more bottles made from boro-type ranges in the UK, not a clue!

Barnacle Bay

Wow very interesting - may have a play tomorrow  - now have another empty ...hic :)

Zeldazog

I always thought (wine) bottle glass was made from similar to window/float glass - which is around 83/84 usually?  I can remember seeing work by an artist who'd used bottle glass combined with float in fusing.

Of course, float will be harder to melt on a HH than 104 or even Bullseye; float needs around another 40 deg C to fully fuse than BE does.

Ian Pearson

Hi all, dont reply much these days but felt I needed to here. Commercial wine bottles etc are not boro. Soft glass in the main. I used to join tubes to milk bottles using a soda lime glass probably about the 90 range.

Hope all are well

Ian

Soozintheshed

Well thats interesting, I stand corrected, I was always told there were more like a pyrex.

I might have a play myself then  :)
Sooz     '(0,0)'

www.thebeadshed.co.uk

TracyJayne

They seem to be different, I have used a few different ones, but the one I'm using today, a Prosecco bottle is a b****r to melt,  :(  the champagne bottle I did a couple of months ago didn't seem to be nearly as hard to get melty.

Hotglass28

www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Izzybeads

Some bottles are definitely harder to full fuse or slump though, does that mean that they could be a different glass?  I am thinking Gin bottles and the like, not wine bottles, having said that, cider bottles need a higher temp to slump than wine bottles.  I have often wondered about using other glass with them, like a frit mix, but not done so far  :-\
Laney
www.Izzybeads.etsy.com
www.flickr.com/photos/izzybeads